Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS is limping after fall, what should I do?

(17 Posts)
Addictedtohotbaths1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:06:52

DS 4 fell yesterday from a fireman pole so about 8 feet drop, he has very slight swelling to ankle and is walking with a limp, says it feels like it's burning but isn't massively bothering him?! Do I need to take him to the doctors or does the fact he can walk on it mean it's just a bit bruised?

Thanks in advance!

twotoesforwardonefootback Tue 12-Apr-16 21:14:12

Was he seen yesterday?

If he has not been seen at all, then he needs to be seen, if he was seen & they gave it the all clear, if it is worse go back.

In older children & adults & once you know what you are dealing with the advice is: rest, ice, compression & elevate it.

AnyFucker Tue 12-Apr-16 21:24:41

has he had an Xray ?

Addictedtohotbaths1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:27:13

No he hasn't been seen, he cried and then just carried on playing, albeit with a bit of a limp.

Oh dear is that bad of me?

Will get him checked tomorrow if he's still limping in the morning - thx

Addictedtohotbaths1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:30:17

I feel sick now. Wouldn't we know by now if it was broken??

FelicityR313 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:31:53

An 8 foot drop, a limp, swelling and a burning sensation and you're wondering whether he needs to be seen?

DancingDinosaur Tue 12-Apr-16 21:35:36

I'd have taken him yesterday personally, get him seen asap.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:44:00

He's asleep now. Should I wake him or wait until morning? I just touched it, he didn't flinch or wake.

I've been at work all day DH hasn't even noticed there was anything wrong.

FelicityR313 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:44:46

If he's asleep, let him sleep.

AnyFucker Tue 12-Apr-16 21:45:39

Let him sleep

If there is still a limp tomorrow, get him seen and an Xray.

FelicityR313 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:47:25

That said, I wouldn't allow him to place weight on it in the morning until it's seen. I recall an orthopaedic surgeon giving out to me for not wearing my sling a few weeks in (he could tell from the xray) as the fracture had widened (broken collarbone). I still suffer from slight pain in the shoulder.

GreenMarkerPen Tue 12-Apr-16 21:48:46

let him sleep. wake him tomorrow.
many people are able to walk with a fracture.

twotoesforwardonefootback Tue 12-Apr-16 21:50:30

He needs to be seen, but no need to take him tonight unless the colouring looks strange, or it feels different in temperature.

From the replies, I think you already know he needs to be seen & I hope he is ok.

I am not sure if I have made this up, but I am sure there is a guide of if a child falls higher than their height they should be seen, probably even works for an adult - may have heard it on 24hrs in A&E.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:53:14

It looks fine, temp is fine and he isn't flinching. It's literally the tiniest bit swollen you can hardly tell.

Will take him first thing to get checked over - always wary of being seen as a time waster...

Thanks for your replies

TheBakeryQueen Tue 12-Apr-16 22:16:58

It's probably a sprain but always best to get it checked.

Addictedtohotbaths1 Wed 13-Apr-16 10:32:50

All fine, got him checked, just a soft tissue injury. Phew.

AnyFucker Wed 13-Apr-16 11:47:26

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now