Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do worms cause pain?!

(14 Posts)
lisbapalea Sun 03-Apr-16 22:50:54

Dd6 has been complaining of bottom "pain" for a week now, mainly at bedtimes.

It's been really hard to know what her issue is, or if there is an issue at all for a variety of reasons. Firstly, the pain tends to appear at the same time as she is asked to do something, e.g. Get into pjs, tidy the toys etc. She is also somewhat of a drama queen at the best of times so loves a bit of attention. She is also able to switch off and go utterly calm if distracted such as when I read a story or if we engage in conversation. But as soon as there's a lull, it's back to writhing, moaning and ultimately full on hysterics.

We have managed to talk her down from it and have sometimes applied sudocrem or given calpol or both to ease her pain.

But tonight there was no talk of any problem at bedtime but she woke up about an hour ago complaining that her bottom very and she was full on with the hysterics.

Tonight she said that her bottom itched as well as hurt so I am wondering if it could be worms?

She calmed down after I tried pretty much every technique I could think of from softly softly to full on frustration, back to lentil weavey meditation / deep breathing shizzle.

Any clues what it could be?!

Imnotaslimjim Sun 03-Apr-16 22:53:45

It does sound like it could be worms. Is she asleep now? If so, use a torch to have a look at her bottom, you'll see them!

If it is worms, you will all need treating, 2 doses two weeks apart. Speak to the chemist tomorrow.

gamerchick Sun 03-Apr-16 22:54:04

Treat her anyway... And the rest of you.

If it's waking her up then it's probably worms and the longer you leave it the more eggs are being spread around the house.

Balletgirlmum Sun 03-Apr-16 22:56:46

Can you see anything in her bottom. It could be she's torn her self slightly if she's been constipated perhaps but it does sound like worms. They need treating ASAP.

AuditAngel Sun 03-Apr-16 22:57:01

DD2 presented in an ID way the last time, eventually I twigged it might be worms, immediate improvement after treatment

lisbapalea Sun 03-Apr-16 22:58:47

Thanks all - think we will be going to the chemist tomorrow! Do we need to let school know?

Is it a case of boiling towels, bedding and underwear as well as taking the medicine?

daisychicken Sun 03-Apr-16 23:01:36

I've already admitted this on another thread about threadworms so I'll admit it again here! I remember having had threadworms as a child several times and yes it's itchy but for me it was such an intense itch that it was painful. My ds1 also found threadworms intensely itchy and painful. So it could be that your dd has similar symptoms for threadworms.

From speaking to others, it seems some people have no symptoms at all, some itch or feel the movement and some have symptoms similar to mine.

So I would treat your dd and the rest of the family, it's a simple tablet (or liquid) twice in I think a 6 week interval - the chemist can sell the medication OTC.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 03-Apr-16 23:01:45

I had the exact same issue with my DS a fortnight ago, every night he was crying and saying his bottom hurt inside. I could see no inflammation and applied various creams but each night at a similar time the pain returned. I took him to the Doctors and he said it was worms and prescribed some medication (you can buy it over the counter), the pain stopped instantly. I never saw a single worm around his bottom or in his poo. It sounds very similar to your Daughter, he too was hysterical and I couldn't handle another night of it, that's why we went to the drop in, the good news is, the tablet kicks in immediately. It's called Ovex, all the family were treated.

lisbapalea Mon 04-Apr-16 09:27:13

Thanks for all the replies. I have just googled the family pack of Ovex and it doesn't mention taking another dose two weeks later which I had read about elsewhere. Do I buy two packs and we all take one lot today and another in a fortnight?

Imnotaslimjim Mon 04-Apr-16 10:02:39

Yes, the chemist will advise the same. The worms have a 14 day life cycle so it prevents them coming back of some eggs survive the first dose

NoahVale Mon 04-Apr-16 10:13:16

Some advice

keep finger nails short, wash bottom before bed.
the eggs catch under finger nails when you scratch, and you put fingers in mouth, which starts whole process again. so good idea to wash your hands before eating.
wear pants in bed too.
treat whole family.

RoganJosh Mon 04-Apr-16 10:16:17

If you treat after two weeks then you don't need to be as enthusiastic with the hygiene methods as the life cycle is broken. I think.
No need to boil stuff, the eggs just wash away.
I have read that the eggs are bloody everywhere and you can either wash your whole house, every day, plus yourselves in the morning to get rid of new eggs laid outside the anus, or do the re-treat. Guess which we do...

lisbapalea Mon 04-Apr-16 11:45:33

Thanks everyone - mumsnet saves the day, again!

InsaneDame Mon 04-Apr-16 20:49:59

Just a quick comment - it is so so important to do the second dose as the first dose will kill the worms inside, which include females full of hundreds of eggs. If the females are killed and leave the eggs behind then these will hatch inside and start the whole cycle again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now