Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Awful silent reflux can't take anymore

(8 Posts)
WalkingBlind Sat 02-Apr-16 14:57:11

My 5 week old is in agony with what I would garuntee is silent reflux (and I think is caused by protein allergy as his sister had it).

His GP appointment isn't until the 6th and I can't bare to see him in pain for that long it's getting worse and I'm exhausted.

Who do I contact to deal with this today? (And why do things things always wait until a weekend sighs)

nocoolnamesleft Sat 02-Apr-16 21:28:42

Out of hours GP (some areas directly, some via 111).

And I hate the term silent reflux - wish it could be renamed "screaming in pain" reflux.

IwillrunIwillfly Sat 02-Apr-16 21:35:16

i'd second trying for an out of hours gp appointment. hopefully they'd be happy to try him on some anti reflux medicines like ranitadine or omeprazole. they base the done on his weight so make sure you've got an up to date one.

is he still taking his feeds ok? hope you manage to get him seen soon op.

WalkingBlind Sat 02-Apr-16 21:49:32

He isn't sleeping or eating (only very little of both), they gave us some gaviscon and told us to see the health visitor on Monday. I'm exhausted and heartbroken from seeing him in so much pain. I used 111 so thank you I didn't know what to do

I agree nocool it is definitely not silent! Luckily he's a big lad so has plenty of reserves but he's hungry and can barely bare to swallow sad

Sleepdream Sat 02-Apr-16 23:35:32

I totally sympathise with you. My son was exactly the same, nobody took any notice because he wasn't losing any weight. He never EVER took more than a 3 ounce bottle and I was still having to feed him every 2/3 hours through the night up until he was 1.. I pushed and pushed for tests as nothing seemed to be helping him, finally they agreed (but for my peace of mind only) angryto find he actually had a hiatus hernia which was causing the 'silent' reflux. Only then did they take me seriously and agree it wasn't just colic. Or as one doctor at the hospital
Tried to tell me 'he's crying because he doesn't like the food you are trying to feed him'

WalkingBlind Sat 02-Apr-16 23:56:26

A doctor today told me "he isn't sleeping or eating right, that's just what all baby's do". I went to see someone else. We know when the little one's are in pain or just being fussy. So sorry you had to go through that for so long shock They can be so dismissive it's awful

MummySparkle Sat 02-Apr-16 23:59:01

Are you breastfeeding? I found cutting all dairy, soy and caffeine out of my diet helped enormously helped shift the baby weight too! ranitidine was fantastic for us too. It's horrible seeing them in pain. Keep upright and gentl movements, I'm sure you're practised at that already. It's truly heartbreaking

lougle Sun 03-Apr-16 00:38:48

I went through all of this with DD1. When I got to DD2 and it started I went straight to the GP and said 'she's got silent reflux and I can't do it again. I need her seen' we got gaviscon (just constipated her) and ranitidine (ok). What was really a game changer was reading on MN about Carobel. It is a bit like baby rice in texture. A little on a spoon, mixed with milk. She took it at 8 weeks (but was 5 weeks prem so like 3 weeks). It thickens the milk as it hits the tummy, so it's harder to reflux. But unlike gaviscon it's easily digested. We got it prescribed -it's not in the drug section of the BNF, it's in the food supplement section. She was a different baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now