Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 year old going crossed eyed every so oftrn

(6 Posts)
Vilio Mon 28-Mar-16 18:14:58

I'm not looking for medical advice. I am going to go to optician tomorrow. Or maybe gp if it's outside opticians scope.
But does anyone have any experience of a toddler crossing his eyes occasionally. He's 2.2 and just started doing this in the last few weeks.
I thought he was just doing it for fun.He seems to think it's funny. Both eyes point towards his nose for the second he does it.
But I took a photo of him over the weekend and one eye is directed at his nose other straight ahead which alerted me to it being something more. If it is something more, is it a squint? I thought a squint would be when it's always pointed in, but his is only maybe a couple of times a day.
I'm very short sighted but didn't don't have any eyesight issues until puberty. My older ds is fine and never did this crossing his eyes.

ArielBelleElsa Mon 28-Mar-16 19:37:33

My daughter has recently been prescribed glasses for this. It sounds very much like her, although she started at 3. It's an intermittent squint which means it comes and goes. Happens mostly when focusing on objects close up or looking at me from a metre or so away. Google 'accomadative estropia' as sounds very much like this.

ArielBelleElsa Mon 28-Mar-16 19:39:00

Sorry typo- it's accommodative esotropia

Vilio Mon 28-Mar-16 20:24:15

Thank you, now I know what to research!

Reeb1e Tue 29-Mar-16 13:05:43

My daughter is and 3 had a similar problem. The squint got progressively worse until one whole week, everytime i looked at her and she was almost cross eyed the whole time.

I took her to our GP and she was referred to an paediatric ophthalmologist who has prescribed glasses and with the glasses she does not "squint" at all.

She needs to wear glasses all the time (and thankfully does), if caught early the eye problems can be corrected a lot of the time without surgery. Glasses maybe long term but there are a lot of nice designs these days and they look quite cute.

Vilio Tue 29-Mar-16 13:07:59

Thank you, reminded me, i must make that appointment. Thought there might be a post holiday rush on appointments so I was waiting for that to taper off. but will do it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now