Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help urine the colour of coca cola.

(9 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Tue 22-Mar-16 17:49:24

Ds who is 9 has been suffering from flu since Friday. Very poorly with high temp, cough, sore throat muscle aches and pains. Seems to be a little better today but get weak. I helped him have a wee into a bottle this morning and was very dark brown/ red colour not unlike cocacola colour. Very alarmed so I tried to get him to drink lots and look at next wee. Was less dark but still pink tinge. Called GP surgery and nurse confirmed blood and protein in urine. She spoke to dr and was given a antibiotic as a precaution. Wee less dark but still pink later today. Should I be pushing for further investigations at this point. Anyone else had experience of wee this colour?

PerspicaciaTick Tue 22-Mar-16 17:54:01

The only time I had wee that colour was when I was admitted to hospital with septicemia and my kidneys started packing up.
Lots of ABs later plus other treatments and I'm fine - but I would be keeping a very close eye and taking to GP/A&E especially if he temp is uncontrollable.
I hope your DS feels better soon.

MissBeaHaving Tue 22-Mar-16 19:16:30

I would say the same as pp,I would monitor closely & have no hesitation at all ringing out of hours if I thought Ds needed seeing.
I really hope he feels better soonthanks

Cocacolaandchocolate Tue 22-Mar-16 19:18:22

Monitor and go to out of hours of more concerning through the night. Poor thing

nocoolnamesleft Tue 22-Mar-16 20:03:38

Please tell me they sent the sample to the lab? The problem with dipstick testing is that it reads myoglobin (protein that your muscles release when very achy) the same as haemoglobin (protein in red blood cells). Which means that if you dip the urine of someone with proper flu (or, for that matter, who has just run a marathon) it looks like there's blood in it...then usually when they look down the microscope in the lab it turns out that it wasn't blood at all...

Obviously, if you're worried he's getting more unwell, then ignore this and seek help!

Notthinkingclearly Tue 22-Mar-16 20:32:37

Thanks for all replies. He is no worse tonight and has no pain. Just checked temperature and its normal. Yes they sent sample off. That's interesting nocool, I hope you are right. Still looks a little pink tonight but not so alarming. Wondered if it could itp?

Fayrazzled Tue 22-Mar-16 20:39:20

I know someone who's child had this recently. It was caused by kidney inflammation as a result of a strep A throat infection and was called "poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis". The fact your child has been ill with a flu type infection makes me wonder if it is the same thing? The GP had not come across it before and initially prescribed antibiotics for an infection; however the lab results indicated no infection present and the child was referred to the paediatrician who diagnosed it. I would ring your GP and ask about this specifically. The coca cola wee is a classic sign apparently. The hospital is monitoring the child over the next few months- they need to check kidney function I think- but there was no undue alarm and no need for an inpatient stay- so don't be afraid. It should be checked out though as it can result in kidney failure (albeit this is much more likely in adults than children- again, don't want to alarm you).

nocoolnamesleft Tue 22-Mar-16 20:54:57

And that would show up as blood in the lab....so good that the sample has been sent in.

Fayrazzled Tue 22-Mar-16 21:06:24

nocoolnamesleft- I'm not a medic so don't understand the ins and outs- but I know in my friend's daughter's case it wasn't diagnosed from the sample sent to the lab by the GP- it was tests done by the paediatrician who saw her on the ward that got to the bottom of it. I don't know if this is unusual though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now