Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heart mumur in 6 year old

(12 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Sat 19-Mar-16 20:47:44

Dd is poorly with a high fever of 40. Been to ooh dr who listened to her chest and said she heard a mumur and will write to our GP. Can the fever be the cause. She has been under a paediatrician in the past so has had her heart listened to quite a lot. Please calm me down.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:55:09

Yes, as far as I am aware a child can get a murmur with a high temperature.
It is also quite common for children to have an innocent murmur, my son has one.

Interestingly, my daughter has an abnormal aortic valve with mild regurgitation but her murmur has only ever been detected by one cardiologist who is a professor at GOSH.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 19-Mar-16 20:56:21

Yes, my understanding is that murmurs can show up when they are poorly. DS was an asthmatic and frequently had his chest listened to but on one occasion a murmur was picked up. He had to go back two weeks later to have it re-checked and it was still there so he was referred for a scan which showed his murmur was innocent (which is why it came and went on and off through his childhood). If the doctor was more concerned you would've been sent through to the hospital today. I hope she feels better soon.

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 19-Mar-16 20:56:57

Lots of people have benign heart murmurs, you know that? I had/ have a juvenile heart murmur - I still had it ten years or so ago and I'm 45 - was dx around 3, I think. I raced for my school, have run marathons, had three kids, and spent 16 years in the military. The only thing that it has meant of difference in my life, is that I have to take oral antibiotics before any dental work (there is a small danger of bacterial infection otherwise).
Heart murmurs are fairly irrelevant in the vast majority of cases. Last time there was a thread on here loads of people popped up to say they had them too.

Hope dd feels better soon, but please don't be too alarmed about the heart murmur stuff. They originally told me I would probably outgrow mine around 14, I didn't - but it has still made absolutely no difference to my life at all. Like, none. There is really no need to panic at all.

May09Bump Sat 19-Mar-16 20:58:50

Yes, illness can cause a temporary murmur and occasionally DR's can misinterpret rumbles caused by chest infections as murmurs. If you have been under the care of a pediatrician, its probably a temporary issue. I would make an urgent appointment for GP on Monday and get a referral for a heart trace at the hospital to make sure. Don't wait for the OOH DR's letter to go through the system.

I'm sure she will be fine, just keep a close eye on her and try to keep the fever down. It must be worrying.

Mrsmulder Sat 19-Mar-16 21:02:03

My ds has a benign heart murmur. It's a lot more noticeable when he is unwell. His was picked up by a gp, he had a hospital appointment and an ECG and echocardiogram. Both were normal. They will probably do the same with your son to make sure but if he has no other symptoms it's highly likely to be benign

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sat 19-Mar-16 21:07:51

My ds has a benign heart murmour. It was scary when the doctor found it (also during a fever) and told us to come back in 3 months and check it again. It was still there. I utterly panicked - but we were referred for an ultrasound and they diagnosed a benign heart murmour - which is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Don't google, don't panic.

orangina Sat 19-Mar-16 21:15:00

My ds has an innocent murmur, and they fist noticed it when he was about 2yo and poorly with a terrible cold/chest infection. He was seen by a paediatric cardiologist and scanned, and he declared it to be a text book innocent heart murmur, and brought in all the med students to listen to him…..

Get him referred to check him over, but there is every chance that it is innocent.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:17:55

Forgot to mention in my previous post I have a murmur from a MVP ( Mitral valve prolapse) that so far, has caused me no problems.
madwoman prophylactic antibiotics for heart defects are no longer prescribed. Are they still given to you then?

Naty1 Sun 20-Mar-16 11:55:35

Dd has heart murmur found after fever (ear infection) in Jan. We were referred but still waiting for an appt date even. She is 3.
Several other drs including a&e had listened since oct and nobody else noticed except this 1 GP.

Notthinkingclearly Sun 20-Mar-16 14:56:18

Thanks for all your comments all reasuring. I will take her when feeling better.

madwomanbackintheattic Sun 20-Mar-16 15:27:31

Haven't had any dental work for years, NK, so it hasn't come up tbh. It was just the only thing I could think of that had been even vaguely 'different' about having a heart murmur over the years... And actually, no military dentist ever prescribed them, just the civilian ones, so it's always been a bit 'nod and smile' when they insist on it. Interesting that they aren't doing it any more - it always seemed faintly pointless...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now