Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Increased thirst in toddler

(17 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 15-Mar-16 20:51:25

This has been going on for about a week and today I recorded the amount and he's had 1800mls and will likely have another 160mls overnight. So getting close to 2litres in an 18 month old who normally I struggle to get more than about 500mls into. I'd say today he's had the most of the whole week of this excessive drinking but he's been really irritable for a month or so after having had flu and then croup. Even after they've gone he's just tantruming about everything which is unusual for him.

I went to the gp today and he wants to test for diabetes. But said weight loss is a symptom and I don't think he has lost weight. I wouldn't know to be honest as I never get him weighed but he doesn't look skinny and he's eating loads still.

Does anyone know what else could cause the thirst? Diabetes is too scary to think of and I'm sure there must be a simpler explanation, he doesn't seem ill.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 15-Mar-16 21:12:44

I'm surprised the GP didn't test for diabetes there and then! It's very important that it gets ruled out asap...it can be very very serious if left untreated. Have you got an appointment to go back for the test? A quick finger prick can check his blood sugar and takes seconds to perform.

In terms of other possible causes does he have a cold? Sore throat? Dribbling lots due to teething?

MoreSnowPlease Tue 15-Mar-16 21:29:38

Sorry I should have said he gave us a urine sampling kit to get a sample and a blood test form which has various things to test for on it and just said to speak to reception about getting it done somewhere that did paediatric blood tests. I didn't have time to do this and didn't realise it was urgent?!

I took him in asking for him to look at his throat as he held walking in the night with a dry mouth/croaky voice. But he looked and said it was fine. He has no temp, hasn't been unwell really but does have conjunctivitis which he's had for about 2 months since the flu and he just said to keep bathing his eyes.

I'm really annoyed now if it's easy for him to test there and then because it's a bloody nightmare dragging both kids along to a surgery with no toys!

I just can't find any other symptoms of diabetes online to help me narrow down whether it could be this. It's frustrating.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 15-Mar-16 21:54:57

The main symptoms are increased thirst, increased urination, tiredness and weight loss.

My best friends dd was diagnosed at 16 months...her symptoms were thirst, flooding nappies and just generally being out of sorts.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 16-Mar-16 01:11:32

Hang on, is he waking in the night thirsty? Not grumpy, but thirsty? because toddlers can get into the habit if drinking lots, but nocturnal waking with thirst, in a child with increased drinking, is diabetes until proven otherwise. Because that's the way to be safe.

And, um, a GP frankly would not normally be sorting tests for diabetes in a toddler (unless you're stuck on a small remote island or something)....if they're worried enough to be thinking testing is required, I would expect them to be ringing up the nearest paediatric department same day, where they would usually be seen same day to assess properly.

Most of the time it isn't diabetes, but at that age if it is they can get so sick so fast that it doesn't pay to take chances.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 16-Mar-16 07:11:39

Well we're not stuck on a remote island and that is what I've been told to do. So......what do I do? I guess he didn't because he doesn't look sick?!

MoreSnowPlease Wed 16-Mar-16 07:51:11

He doesn't seem to be as thirsty so far today so might see how he goes

Bimblesalong Wed 16-Mar-16 08:21:55

I hope all goes well. My child had lost weight, was tired, irritable, thirsty and started to wet the bed again. He had been missed by doctors twice before it got to the stage that he was very poorly.

Don't leave it if you are concerned.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 16-Mar-16 18:48:06

If he had diabetes would he seem sick? He's been very tired today, but generally very happy and normal while not sleeping. He's had less fluid, 1160ml which is still alot for him but less than yesterday. Would this happen if it was diabetes?

Bimblesalong Thu 17-Mar-16 19:48:07

It's good to hear he has been happy and normal, although tired. Maybe he is just getting over this nasty flu and croup, poor sausage.

However, be mindful still of your concerns. I can't answer for individual cases as for some children diabetes comes on very fast, for others it can come on slowly (as with my son, and then a rapid downhill). So I'm afraid I'm not sure what to advise. It was a shock to me, I wasn't expecting it. If I'd known the signs I would have acted so much more quickly, but I can't turn the clock back. I hope for your little one its just a case of getting over the bug.

Here's a link to the juvenile diabetes symptoms list. The onward effects are a bit stark and I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but it's a helpful website and a greatly supportive charity for research and for our youngsters with the condition.

jdrf.org.uk/about-type-1-diabetes/understanding/what-are-the-signs-and-symptoms-of-type-1-diabetes/

WicksEnd Thu 17-Mar-16 20:31:31

No, he wouldn't seem sick necessarily. It's the increased thirst, frequent urination, increased appetite, weight loss and in my case, blurred vision.
Do you have a children's hospital near you? Take him there for bloodshed you do. I'd pop to the pharmacist and get some urine test strips in the mean time. You can buy them OTC.

WicksEnd Thu 17-Mar-16 20:32:37

Sorry blush awful typo! Blood tests! Not bloodshed.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 19-Mar-16 13:10:55

Wrote a whole long post and lost it! Jist of it was that my other son is in hospital with asthma. It's very hard to find the time to do all the things needed to get a blood test at the moment so we took youngest back to the gp and requested that they do the finger prick test that someone suggested. They refused to do it saying that there would be no point as it only shows what's happening in the last few hours? And that what he'd eaten would affect the results.

So.... Now I have to decide whether to go through the whole process of sitting and waiting for a blood test in the local hospital, getting to the pharmacist to get some numbing cream.

I've managed to get a urine sample to the GP. Will this be able to rule out diabetes on its own?!

I know it sounds like I'm putting it off but I just wonder whether maybe he's just recovering and thirsty!! And my other son needs me more at the moment.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

TheAussieProject Sat 19-Mar-16 18:23:06

A friend of mine had her DD's diabetes discovered by a random prick test at the GP. It is true it tells only what happens at that moment but her blood sugar was around 15 and she was sent straight away to hospital.

There is a range of normal blood sugar, according to fasting or meals, but whatever is over 10 is abnormal.
What about going to the GP when they open in the morning and have the nurse performed the test on an empty stomach ? No need for a blood test if it is just for blood sugar.
In Italy and Spain I remember some pharmacies would do it. In Uk? Maybe not boots, but a traditional pharmacy?

MoreSnowPlease Sat 19-Mar-16 19:05:21

That's what I thought Aussie that at least a finger prick test would rule out anything serious and buy us some time but they were really stubborn about it and I can't face a third visit to the gp. I don't think that pharmacy would do that for a toddler but I'll phone a few and ask thanks smile

BlackSwan Sat 19-Mar-16 21:25:10

I think you should go through with the testing as advised. There is a different condition called 'diabetes insidious' which is totally unrelated to regular diabetes -diabetes mellitus. With DI, you don't produce a hormone which regulates your water retention, so you wee a lot and drink a lot. The urine is very dilute - so quite clear. I would want to check for that too, just in case.

BlackSwan Sun 20-Mar-16 10:55:33

insipidus. not insidious! Spelling correct...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now