Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High temperature in 1yo

(4 Posts)
WhiteBlueDaisies Tue 15-Mar-16 19:37:41

DS has been ok in himself for most of today, but developed a temperature at about 5pm. By 6pm it spiked to 39.6. I gave him ibuprofen and took his temperature again at 7 and it was just above 37.

He's in bed now. I'm not sure if I need to have him checked over? Should I just leave him to sleep and monitor?

He's been under the weather since yesterday and had a bit of a temperature, but nothing this high.

ShowOfHands Tue 15-Mar-16 19:44:05

Keep him in loose clothing with a loose sheet or cover. Not wrapped up but not stripped right off. The aim is to keep him comfortable, not shivering from cold or bundled up. Fluids will help too and if you have a fan, air circulating in the room but not on him directly can help.

Keep an eye in him but a temperature on its own is nothing to be unduly alarmed about. It's a sign his body is working hard. You can give either calpol or ibuprofen if he is in pain or uncomfortable with it.

There are lots of viruses around. Hopefully, he'll be on the mend soon.

Any change in him or new symptoms then you should review but for now I'd go with keeping him comfortable and hydrated.

WhiteBlueDaisies Tue 15-Mar-16 19:49:12

Thank you, that's what I thought. smile
But when it's your baby the the doubt slips in!

ShowOfHands Tue 15-Mar-16 20:10:01

Absolutely. I'm rubbish when it's my own. You just keeping worrying you've missed something. I find it reassuring to look as objectively as possible at the child with no reference to the thermometer. Usually, you can see that the child is okay if unwell if you step back from the fear. If that makes any sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now