Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scarlet fever

(7 Posts)
hulagirl7932 Mon 14-Mar-16 09:41:32

Hi.
I am looking for advice about my son.
My son (4) and daughter(2.5) have both had scarlet fever.
Some background
My dd had a temp and cough on the 5/6 March and my ds had the same on the 7/8 well by the 8 dd was covered in a rash head to toe. We took them to the doc who said scarlet fever, ds has it but is a couple of days behind dd.
So both on antibiotics since 9th March. Now dd is fine back to normal but ds still has high temp 38.6-39.4 only brought down by ibuprofen, his throat is red raw and his glands are the size of marbles. He is miserable.
I have no idea what to do. Is 6 days of antibiotics enough to make him feel better or at least start to get better. Is it worth leaving it another few days. Or go back to the doctor.
I went to out of hours docs yesterday and all he said was give him calpol and carry on with the antibiotics ( both of which I have been doing, he didn't examine him in the 3 minutes we were in there)
I phoned the docs this morning and I am waiting for the nurse to call me back.
Just getting a bit concerned about ds now.
Thanks. X

sidsgranny Mon 14-Mar-16 09:47:15

Hi,

Sounds like your DS has tonsillitis. My son was off school all last week with the exact same symptoms. Does he have a headache too? They wouldn't give my DS antibiotics but I would definitely take you little one back to the GP.

Waypasttethersend Mon 14-Mar-16 09:50:37

Go back. DD had scarlet fever and the ABs kicked in straight away.

DSIL is a GP and always says after a couple of days Abs should be doing their job.

Sounds like he has a secondary infection and the complications of scarlet fever can be quite nasty so definitely get him seen.

hulagirl7932 Mon 14-Mar-16 09:57:06

Thank you for the quick reply.
That's what I thought. My dd has bounced back fine but the docs just seem to think we'll he is on antibiotics there is nothing else we can do. It's hard as I don't want to seem like the hysterical mother but I feel that something isn't right.

Waypasttethersend Mon 14-Mar-16 10:12:39

It's awful being made to feel that way isn't it?

But push it on your instincts, hope you get some help x

LilRedWG Mon 14-Mar-16 10:27:51

Follow your instincts and take him back. A week after DS finished the SBs for scarlet fever he got a horrific throat infection, requiring different antibiotics.

hulagirl7932 Tue 15-Mar-16 17:10:56

Hi
Thank you all for your responses.
It turns out he has a throat infection on top of scarlet fever. As he is already on antibiotics they can't give him anymore but when he has finished then they will take a look at him and go from there.
His fever seemed to break over night and today he has seemed much better so I am hoping we are now over the worst of it.
Thank you all again for your help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now