Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yo facial rash following fever - not chickenpox or hand/foot/mouth - any ideas?

(16 Posts)
toomuchtooold Sun 13-Mar-16 08:24:27

My 4yo DD had a fever last week which broke on Friday night. She's now come out in spots on her face only, looks like they might be blistering a bit. Nothing anywhere else, nothing in her mouth. She's already had chickenpox, last year, and has had the normal imms. Any ideas? I did hear that scarlet fever was going round here, but the pattern of spots doesn't look right. I will take her to the GP tomorrow (although tbh she's feeling fine now!) but wondered if it rings a bell for anyone?

NickNacks Sun 13-Mar-16 08:27:25

Do you have a photo?

dementedpixie Sun 13-Mar-16 08:28:37

Are the spots localised in one area? Could be shingles. Or impetigo.

liger Sun 13-Mar-16 08:29:27

My son has slap cheek just now. No blisters but you could perhaps check if that is possible?

toomuchtooold Sun 13-Mar-16 09:08:18

Photo hopefully included. The patient is currently dancing round the living room being a princess smile

GlitteryFluff Sun 13-Mar-16 09:19:13

I have no idea about anything, but Scarlett fever is around at the moment. Could it be that? i know one of the symptoms is a rash, I think itchy?

GlitteryFluff Sun 13-Mar-16 09:19:45

--I didn't read your op properly!--blush

ScarlettDarling Sun 13-Mar-16 09:21:32

My ds had similar several times when he was younger which was diagnosed as 'post viral rash'. If she's currently happy and being a princess, I'd just keep an eye, it's probably nothing to worry about. If she starts feeling poorly again it could be worth getting her checked out.

toomuchtooold Sun 13-Mar-16 09:40:34

I hope it is post-viral rash - actually thinking about it she's had post-viral rashes before as diagnosed by our old GP and her twin sister has had a mild temperature but no rash which would suggest it is maybe just a random virus and not one of the serious scabby ones (you know, hand foot mouth/chickenpox/measles/rubella etc).

ScarlettDarling Sun 13-Mar-16 09:54:00

If she's got form for post viral rash, I'll bet that's what it is.

Just keep an eye on her, bet she'll be fine.

casper11 Mon 14-Mar-16 10:30:20

My DD is nearly 4yrs. She has had a rash like that all over her body for a week now. Has high temp and cough. The doctor thought it was chicken pox on its way. I am not convinced. They are not blistery. So they didn't know what else it could be. She seems not too poorly. But there is slapped cheek and scarlet fever in her nursery. X

kimlo Mon 14-Mar-16 10:34:32

If its just on her face it could be impetigo, if it is they will start to get a yellowy puss in them. Highly contagious and needs antibiotics.

toomuchtooold Mon 14-Mar-16 13:43:00

Just been to the GP - it's group A strep/scarlet fever. Apparently there is a bit of an epidemic around here as the local chemists are all out of the antibiotic and we have to wait till this afternoon sad. Twin 2 has just gone down with it as well! At least she will get the antibiotics on the first day instead of having to wait 5 days like poor DD1.

toomuchtooold Mon 14-Mar-16 13:43:27

Thanks very much for all your replies smile

GlitteryFluff Mon 14-Mar-16 16:14:12

I was right! shock--even though I didn't read your op right!-- wink
Hope the antibiotics kick in fast for her (when you get them) and it goes quickly X

toomuchtooold Mon 14-Mar-16 20:07:47

First dose of antibiotics now administered smile I had to promise them both new Elsa dresses to get them to take it. I don't even care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now