Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dodgy stomach and fatigue - not going away

(6 Posts)
HelllsBellls Fri 11-Mar-16 08:30:17

Hi, would appreciate any advice on this...

My 7 year old has an ongoing issue with stomach aches and sometimes (sorry tmi) short term episodes of poo in her pants. She's not actually pooing but finds poo stains when she goes to the toilet and is obviously not entirely in control.

Also seems very tired a lot of the time. Bedtime is a bit of an issue when she goes to her dads but she gets a full nights sleep with me, and is with me most of the time, so I still feel she's more tired than she should be.

I'm going to take her to the gp but suspect that in the first instance I'll be told to keep an eye on it and come back if it doesn't improve. I think I've done that already!

I'm wondering if it could be some sort of mild food intolerance but have no experience of this in our family so feel a bit clueless, and not in a good position to make immediate decisions if I'm given options.

I don't want to subject her to a battery of unecessary tests, but do feel this has gone on long enough.

Help! Has anyone had similar?

notagiraffe Fri 11-Mar-16 18:15:20

A friend's daughter had these symtoms at a similarage and it turned out she was lactose intolerant. For some reason this affects their iron level, causing anaemia which is why they get so tired. Not saying your DD has this but you could try cutting all dairy out for two weeks and seeing if it makes a difference.

InvictusVersinium Fri 11-Mar-16 18:15:38

Does she poo daily? She's not with holding poo then soiling unintentionally is she?

(sort of bumping in the hopes someone else can help)

gandalf456 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:17:25

I was wondering about intolerance too

HelllsBellls Mon 14-Mar-16 06:09:57

Thanks all, I don't think she's deliberately withholding. The symptoms have eased again after she did a big poo and I kept a closer eye on milk consumption so I think thats the first thing to explore.

She loves milk, she's not going to be happy!

Penfold007 Mon 14-Mar-16 06:43:11

Symptoms being relieved by pooing suggests she is constipated. Make sure she is drinking plenty and it might be worth trying a lactose free milk to see if that helps. I would suggest speaking to your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now