Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Low iron. Or maybe not.

(5 Posts)
PickledLily Thu 10-Mar-16 21:48:44

DD is always shattered, so she recently had blood tests. The results came back that all was fine except for low iron (ferritin), but not anaemia as her blood count was fine. Apparently the lab had written that the results are unreliable in children but when I asked what the values were and what it meant, the GP said that in an adult, her levels would be considered below normal confused

So I'm really confused now - can anyone explain what this means? Shoudl I be concerned about the low ferritin? Why test for ferritin if the results are meaningless?

Sparklycat Thu 10-Mar-16 21:54:54

Low ferritin isn't something to be ignored, it means she's on her way to becoming anaemic. Your ferritin is iron stores and she needs some iron supplement. Very odd they'd ignore it! Low ferritin can make you feel awful.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 10-Mar-16 21:56:32

The results are not meaning less. I had lots ferritin and no anaemia and suffered awfully! Mental issues, pain in joints, pain in muscles like I'd run a marathon after walking up a few steps, breathless, fast heart rate, anxiety, depression, weak muscles, trembling, severely fatigued. I want even detected as under the threshold because I was 1 point within 'normal' range. Taking ferrous sulphate in high doses on prescription has relieved most of the symptoms. I can't explain how awful I felt. Please peruse this!!

MoreSnowPlease Thu 10-Mar-16 21:57:24

Sorry for all the typos, using my phone!

PickledLily Fri 11-Mar-16 16:56:03

Odd, I typed a reply but it didn't post!

I've also had anaemia, it's no fun. Glad you're sorted now.

I wasn't clear from the GP if the levels were a concern or not. Her ferritin was 10, apparently anything below 15 in an adult is low, but not sure how this translates to children.

I asked if there were iron supplements she would recommend (as DD is prone to constipation and I didn't want to just give her my spartone!), but the GP was very vague and just said to make sure she had plenty of iron in her diet (helpful - she's a picky eater).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now