Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6yo dd with bad headache, wont drink...

(16 Posts)
backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 21:51:30

WWYD? She came home from school with a very bad head. She slept a lot since then, been sick twice and had some calpol.

She will not drink or eat though. Im aware that by not drinking she isnt going to get rid of it.

Any ideas? Is it worth phoning the out of hours drs or waiting until the morning to see how she is?

Kanga59 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:56:44

Anything else of concern, have you checked her over for rash, aversion to light, is she urinating normally? What's her temp, skin colour/pale?

Have you tried sugary drinks, milkshake, springing a drink in to give her a taste of it?

Kanga59 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:57:14

Syringing*

backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 21:58:55

She has a rash on her face but this is from an allergy I think. I have just used a glass and it disappears...

She has just been for a wee, doesnt have diarrhoea, is very pale and wont eat. Ive offered to take her to a shop to buy any drink but she wont.

She just wants to lie down and sleep. She wont even sit up.

Gazelda Wed 09-Mar-16 22:01:02

Have you any ice pops in the freezer?
I'd call OOH docs to be honest.

CocktailQueen Wed 09-Mar-16 22:01:46

Can she bend her chin to her chest? Shine a torch in her eyes. Is she sensitive to light? If she can't do (a) and is sensitive to light, then take her to A&E.

Poor pet. Hope she's better soon.

backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 22:03:22

Should I phone 111? I will try to wake her now...

MrsKCastle Wed 09-Mar-16 22:03:29

When was the last time she had a drink? I think if she was my DD, I'd take her to OOH. I wouldn't want to wait until morning.

strawberrypenguin Wed 09-Mar-16 22:04:57

Try offering her an ice lolly. She really should have some fluids if she's been sick. Call OOH for advice if your worried. Hope she feels better soon.

backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 22:07:02

She can put her chin to her chest and wasnt bothered about me shining a light in her eyes. She just wants to sleep, she still wont drink.

Last time was about 4pm and she has been sick since.

DramaQueenofHighCs Wed 09-Mar-16 22:08:52

I don't want to worry you, but there have been some recent outbreaks of Scarlet fever - so if her temperature goes up and you notice a red rash anywhere else or that her tongue is swollen it will Definitly be worth taking her to your GP just to rule it out!

SmellySourdough Wed 09-Mar-16 22:10:16

do you have something tempting that she usually isn't allowed? like fizzy pop?
small sips, wake her every 30 min
syringe is good, dummy dipped in drink, jelly?

backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 22:16:33

I got her to drink some milk! Panic over, I even got a smile. I will be keeping a close eye on her tonight and taking her to the drs in the morning. Thanks all smile

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Wed 09-Mar-16 22:16:50

Obviously keep an eye on temp etc, but it could be migraine. If so hopefully it's s one- off, but if it happens again get her to the gp for a proper diagnosis.

Mine started at around that age and I would sleep18 hours or more at a time, but no light aversion - I do have that as an adult nut children's symptoms can be quite different.

backonthebikeagain Wed 09-Mar-16 22:21:08

Migraines seem to run in our family sad

madmotherof2 Wed 09-Mar-16 22:22:26

It sounds like a migraine doesn't it?

My eldest suffers, he particularly likes a cool, damp flannel folded up on his forehead/ over his eyes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now