Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn and chest infection / possible pneumonia in the house

(6 Posts)
HJBeans Wed 09-Mar-16 03:44:23

Brought my two day old DS home today, but have an elderly visitor (my dad) through Thursday with a bad chest infection / possible pnuemonia. How worried should I be about DS getting ill? What precautions are sensible?

mylaptopismylapdog Wed 09-Mar-16 05:25:37

Congratulations.
I would seek medical advice as then if you feel it would be better to postpone visit you can give that as the reason. Your Dad probably wouldn't want to give his infection to his newborn grandson so you are protecting both of them.

Sirzy Wed 09-Mar-16 06:42:16

As tough as it will be realistically you dad needs to postpone the visit until he is well

HJBeans Wed 09-Mar-16 07:36:24

My dad's already here, unfortunately. And not due to fly home until Thursday morning. Though the thought of him flying while this ill is also scary. Just don't know what more can be done than keep the baby upstairs and dad downstairs.

Finola1step Wed 09-Mar-16 07:43:15

You will need to seek medical advice regarding your baby and whether your dad is ok to fly.

HJBeans Wed 09-Mar-16 08:14:56

Dad's been to the GP and said he was due to fly. Was given antibiotics but no advice not to fly. Will ask midwife what more we can do for today and tonight. Just heard my dad wake up downstairs - apparently feeling much better, which is a relief at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now