Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I be worried about a mole on my ds1(9) leg?

(21 Posts)
Mummytron Mon 07-Mar-16 22:07:27

My son has shown me a mole on the back of his leg tonight. It's black and I've never noticed it. I've checked the advice of changes in appearance but it's worrying me

ArielBelleElsa Tue 08-Mar-16 05:24:34

If you have concerns and are feeling worried, go to your GP to have it checked out. It'll put your mind at rest.

christinarossetti Tue 08-Mar-16 06:39:58

Definitely take him to the GP this week.

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 07:46:58

Sounds worrying?

Gutterflower Tue 08-Mar-16 07:56:15

I took my Dd (8) to the doctors, she's got quite a few moles but she had one on her arm which I thought had changed in appearance. The doctor checked it and measure it along with a couple of others and wasn't worried. Just told to keep check of it, make sure you pile the sun cream on in hot weather and if it bleeds or itches to go straight back. Take him to the doctors so your mind can be put at rest.

Frazzled2207 Tue 08-Mar-16 08:09:31

I don't think it should be worrying but is one of those things to be checked out to put your mind at rest.

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 08:10:21

It's very neat but black which bothers me xx

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 08:56:38

I thought you got melonoma from sun exposure? Should he be referred? I don't always trust the GPs judgement. I've read somewhere that black moles mean cancer.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Mar-16 09:54:39

Is it fast growing? See a doctor
Irregular in appearance? Keep an eye on it, but see a doctor if you are not happy.
Was it previously a different colour? Yes - then see a doctor
Itchy or bleeding? See a doctor.
www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/melanoma/about/pictures-of-abnormal-moles

If the doctor checks him over and says it's all fine, then take good quality pictures so you can refer back annually and look for changes.

SoupDragon Tue 08-Mar-16 09:57:56

It is obviously going to worry you until you get it checked by a doctor, so get it checked.

I don't think anything we could say would stop that worry smile

why did your DS show it to you?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Mar-16 10:08:25

I've read somewhere that black moles mean cancer.

No - they come in all colours so it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. If it used to be pink then yes, it's a bad sign.

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 10:11:49

Have you guessed I'm a worrier! 😛

It's just black which bothers me. He said last night "I can feel something on my leg" and I'd never noticed it before.his other moles are brown which is why it stands out x

tohomeornottohome Tue 08-Mar-16 10:15:12

Black moles do not mean cancer.

The odds of your DS having melanoma at 9 are close to zero. However sun exposure is the main risk factor but anyone can get melanoma, much like if you smoke you're more likely to get lung cancer but you still could get it if you don't.

I would certainly go and have it checked for your peace of mind though. smile

PurpleDaisies Tue 08-Mar-16 10:18:56

The vastly most likely thing is it's absolutely nothing to worry about. It is worth getting checked just in case.

I'm currently waiting to have one of mine removed (completely different to your son's-new black patch and bleeding). GPs are used to checking moles, and really won't mind at all.

christinarossetti Tue 08-Mar-16 13:46:56

No idea if it's worrying or not, although it clearly is to you of course!

Have you called the GP? Most likely absolutely nothing to worry about, but you won't be able to stop until a doctor tells you that.

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 14:07:58

Yes I do worry

Saw the GP and she said to go back in 2 months. She didn't think it was anything to worry about but did ask me what we do in the sun.
I think the colour is a bit irregular so maybe that's why.
Not sure it's put my mind at rest

christinarossetti Tue 08-Mar-16 14:18:21

What about taking a photo, then comparing it in a week or so?

Otherwise, a second opinion is a perfectly reasonable thing to request.

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 14:35:07

Yes I've taken a photo so will keep an eye on it. I'm not very good at waiting!

Mummytron Tue 08-Mar-16 17:35:28

Be honest, am I over reacting? Would you all be thinking the same or not?

tohomeornottohome Tue 08-Mar-16 17:38:28

I do think you are overreacting simply because melanoma or indeed any kind of skin cancer in kids this young is virtually unheard of.

But I am a worrier too so I understand why.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 09-Mar-16 09:53:58

Would you all be thinking the same or not?

No, but then I am covered in literally hundreds of moles of all colours and sizes so it's part of my life. My parents have had numerous removals and acid type treatments to deal with precancerous cells. My father in particular but so far so good. He looks like someone has fried his head with a hot iron at the moment due to whatever treatment he has had so it's made me very conscious of using sun lotion and a hat.

Lovely celtic skin! I have a little black one on my arm which has always been black and hasn't moved or changed at all in 40+ years. Doctors and dermatologists always make a bee line for it though to check it.

I've been told that the slightly raised pink ones are more high risk for changes so it's really worth taking pics, date stamping them and having them to check against. Nice high quality prints will be more accessible in 20 yrs than storing them on a computer now.

Statistically men are more likely to die from melanoma than women though so it is worth creating a level of consciousness and self awareness with him as he grows older. So he actively participates in the examination of his skin and knows what to look for.
www.skincancer.org/publications/the-melanoma-letter/summer-2014-vol-32-no-2/men

Additionally, male behaviours and sport predispose melanoma in different locations to women. Lifelong use of a proper hat [rather than a baseball cap] in strong sunlight would reduce risk of scalp and ear melanomas.
www.skincancer.org/healthy-lifestyle/anti-aging/you-are-at-risk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now