Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds has various problems - may be a neurological thing. Advice appreciated!

(6 Posts)
MissHooliesclassmonitor Sun 06-Mar-16 15:31:38

Hi all - quick synopsis of DS

11 years old. Had epilepsy from 13 months (one particular seizure he "died" as in stopped breathing and doc brought him back) and came off Sodium Valporate at 5. No bad episodes until about 8 months ago and has had possible absenses since. MRI shows nothing and he seems to have been ok again since 2 months ago. Was diagnosed with hypermobility about 2 years ago.

Ongoing problems - walks oddly with feet turned in. Flails hands whilst walking, especially if in a world of his own. Spends hours outside on the trampoline as he has so much energy. When sitting still always figits with his fingers, almost like a flicking thing he does. When we were on holiday he walked around the pool at leat 20 times until i stopped and chatted with him about it - he just says he likes his own company sometime!

School - great with writing stories, goodish at reading. Terrible at maths despite extra help there and at home and the teacher knows he is trying hard. He can have something explained one day, appears to get it, and the next day he cannot remember how to do it at all. This has been going on for all his school life.

Is great at drama, remembers his lines. Has friends but is fine on his own, polite, well behaved, teachers have only once had to have a world about his behaviour in all his school life.

Being assessed for ADHD but even if he has it I think his problems are slightly deeper, but I dont know which area to aim at IYSWIM.

Actually not such a quick one - sorry!!!

Really am looking for what to do and how to help him before he goes to secondary school and things become more pronounced with new kids thinking he's "odd" especially with his walking becoming every stranger- I notice people watching him sad

MattDillonsPants Mon 07-Mar-16 04:31:43

Has he had any genetic testing done OP?

Please don't worry about secondary school too much...because it's such a mixing pot, he will meet ALL kinds of kids who have all kinds of issues themselves...some kids who are quirky and creative actually come into their own in secondary because they find they have more opportunity to express themselves and more of a choice of mates.

The walking, flicking and flailing sound a little like Aspergers....could he have some of the signs in other ways do you think?

MissHooliesclassmonitor Fri 11-Mar-16 18:57:52

Hi MattDillonsPants thanks for the reply smile. No he hasnt had any genetic testing, why do you ask?
Yes the signs of Aspergers are there, but he's only been assessed as having ADHD atm

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 11-Mar-16 19:00:50

Have you looked at Ehlers Danlos syndrome?

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 11-Mar-16 19:03:58

I ask as my DD and I have it and there are overlaps with sensory processing disorder. I see he has hyper mobility

E.g. deniseh.lab.yorku.ca/files/2013/11/Clayton-Cressman-Henriques-2013.pdf

Can't do links on phone sorry

MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 05-Apr-16 19:38:43

Thank you OpheliasWeepingWillow will check that out, have never heard of it before x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now