Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I give ABs?

(13 Posts)
messystressy Sat 05-Mar-16 08:12:26

My DD is 4 and had had a cold for two weeks, with a temp every day, runny nose etc. She started complaining about her ears so after two weeks of calpol and nurofen, I took her to the GP. He gave her ABs (erithromycin, as is allergic to axomicillian). My DD had an allergic reaction to erithromycin and at A&E, we were told to try Keflex. Given she was so uncomfortable about erithromycin, I decided to chance it and try and let her body recover and she has had no ABs since Monday. She still has a temperature (mostly 38.5), still coughing, still giving her Calpol and Nurofen. Its now been 3 weeks of this. I'm loathe to give her Keflex as tinternet gives big warnings about those who are allergic to other ABs, but given that she is still poorly, would you chance it? (We are going to attend allergy clinic to officially check allergies but wont be until we get an appointment). I'm a big believer in not giving ABs but 3 weeks of Calpol and Nurofen isn't great, is it?

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 05-Mar-16 08:16:06

People cab be allergic to any medication. they can also become allergic to any medication at any time.

you can't with old meds in case that happens. she equally could become allergic to the calpol.

yes I would give anti biotic. maybe give in the hospital car park if you are worried. but she sounds as if she needs them.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 05-Mar-16 08:27:57

fwiw dd reacted to erythromycin. she was violently sick I thought she would have to be taken to hospital as she was out of it and couldn't even keep water down.

meds aren't without reactions for non allergic people either.

I would take them in the car park. or at a friend or relatives house nearer the hospital

messystressy Sat 05-Mar-16 08:41:55

True enough, my DD was screaming with stomach pains from the erithromycin. It took three doses to get the allergy rash, which I suppose means that proximity to hospital shouldn't be an issue. I guess my real question is, is her cold bad enough for ABs? Her ears seem to have stopped hurting. She's just snotty and coughing. Just seems OTT to give ABs....but then I've never had a child with a temp for three weeks. We are going on a long haul trip in three weeks also.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 05-Mar-16 08:44:25

if it was a cold it would be over now. they don't last three weeks.

the Dr wouldn't have given them.if they didn't think it was warranted. they dint give them without really needing too these days.

Princessdebthe1st Sat 05-Mar-16 08:56:54

Dear OP,

I am assuming by Keflex you mean cephalexin? Approximately 10% of people who have an allergy to penicillin based antibiotics (e.g amoxicillin) can also have an allergic response to cephalosporin based antibiotics (e.g cephalexin) this tends to be people who have had a significant reaction to penicillins such as rash, facial swelling, difficulty breathing. Quite a few people mistake reactions such as vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach pains as allergies and while they are unpleasant they are not true allergies but are side effects of the medication. So unless your DD has had the more serious response to penicillin then she is unlikely to have an allergy to cephalexin. HOWEVER, what is absolutely vital is that any antibiotics must be prescribed by a health care professional after reviewing your DD as she is now. Given what you describe with ongoing raised temperatures and cold like symptoms for so long she needs an urgent review.

messystressy Sat 05-Mar-16 09:10:46

Thanks all. The allergy to both antibiotics is rash all over her body (she has a few allergies to other things too). But the side effects were also a bit of a surprise! (She was screaming with stomach pain). OK, I will keep an eye on her today - any temperature and I will take her to OoO Dr/ABs. Was also avoiding another night in A&E for her if another rash develops.

Thanks for responses!

Trills Sat 05-Mar-16 09:15:42

HOWEVER, what is absolutely vital is that any antibiotics must be prescribed by a health care professional after reviewing your DD as she is now.

Princessdebthe1st is right here.

messystressy Sat 05-Mar-16 09:30:46

Thank again, out of hours appt booked for this morning.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 05-Mar-16 10:04:18

hope it goes ok. poor dd. she must feel rotten. flowers

TheAussieProject Sun 06-Mar-16 18:51:57

DS2 is allergic to the penicillin spores which include amoxillin. His reaction is huge face swelling so strong you can't recognize him, he almost doesn't look human, big fat layers of hives which will last for several days and rash. His allergy was confirmed by stays and testing at the Day Hospital and he was later tested for several other AB to determine which were safe for him.

This is very important because he could one day need to be given AB for something nastier than otitis and we need to know what he can or cannot take.

Many medication including OTC will give you stomach pain, and in sensitive person, strong stomach pain. Reason why it is often written not to take them on an empty stomach.

After 3 weeks, your DD needs now AB. Once she has recovered you should ask the GP to have her ABs allergies tested in a controlled environment. The procedure is long, as you first need to do the prick test, then the blood test, and last the hospital. They told me the first two never show the allergy but that's the protocol they need to follow.

messystressy Mon 07-Mar-16 20:10:43

Thanks for your response Aussie, your poor DS, that sounds horrific! sad

We went to Dr and she suggested giving it to today without ABs and finally finally FINALLY she has no temperature so we are all getting some sleep. In A&E, the paed dr told us she is going to write to our GP and suggest allergy testing for antibiotics as a referral. Only problem is that they will refer to local hospital who tested her for dairy allergy. They did pinprick, waited 5 minutes, proclaimed her cured - then she suffered an allergic reaction in the carpark on way out of the hospital. Not a huge amount of confidence after that so might try and go private, just to put my mind at ease. Out of interest, which ABs can your son have?

chocdonutyy Mon 07-Mar-16 21:58:10

Just for anyone not aware once an ab suspension is prepared by a pharmacy it only lasts 7 days,
So it's pointless holding on to those meds and also not safe to give once past a week, even if it is clinically suitable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now