Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10days of antibiotics for tonsillitis??

(9 Posts)
daisydalrymple Wed 02-Mar-16 19:05:33

Dd has bacterial tonsillitis, it wasn't getting better so I took her to the gp, we saw the advanced nurse practitioner, who gave a prescription for penicillin, said only collect and start if it seems worse (as this was a Friday).

No better by Monday so I got the antibiotics, and have just realised it's ten days worth (4x 5ml a day). I rang the gp to query, gp checked dd's records and said its probably because she had tonsillitis 18 months ago, so the 10 days is to prevent a recurrence immediately and make sure it clears.

Just wondering if others often have ten days worth of ABs?? I've never had more than a five day course for myself or any of the dcs, and am just a bit concerned as don't like giving these things than for longer than is necessary, whilst bearing in mind the course always needs to be completed to prevent weakening the effectiveness confused any thoughts?

As it was, on the Friday the ANP thought there was a chance it might start to clear so only gave a prescription incase at that stage. So it seems a bit odd to be given a prescription for just incase, that should then also be for ten days.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 02-Mar-16 19:09:34

Nurse practitioners, ime are more thorough and less likely to administer anti-biotics than doctors. Ten days seems perfectly reasonable, rather have more and kill off all the bacteria than not have enough and leave resistant bacteria able to proliferate. It is really important that you finish the course, even when your DC is better. The NP gave you the ABs in case it didn't clear, it hasn't - sounds like they know what they are doing.

FurryFox Wed 02-Mar-16 19:09:48

I was given antibiotics a couple of weeks ago for tonsillitis and it was a ten day course, my dd also had them for tonsillitis at the same time and her course was 7 days confused, sorry not sure if this is very helpful to you. Hope your dd is feeling better soon.

vvviola Wed 02-Mar-16 19:11:19

When DD1 had tonsillitis last year the course was 10 days, and I'm pretty sure when I had it repeatedly in my 20s, it was a 10 day course each time.

littlecharmer2016 Wed 02-Mar-16 19:13:58

my DS was seen on Monday for tonsillitis (he's 3) and was prescribed ABs for 10days...

5mls 4x a day for 10days - each dose to be taken 2 hours before food.

He's had tonsillitis loads since he was little and they have always prescribed a 10day course.

Hope your little one gets well soon xx

daisydalrymple Wed 02-Mar-16 19:23:46

I shall fret no more, thank you one and all. It's one of those where you know theyre never prescribed unless absolutely necessary, but the duration seemed longer than normal, thanks again.

(I realise I must sound bonkers double checking what the GP has said! In my defence, the practice has been manned by locums for 12 months as the three partners left at the same time, so we've had variable advice and absolutely no consistency).

Jibberjabberjooo Thu 03-Mar-16 17:07:36

Yes it's ten days now, I had tonsillitis a couple of months ago.

logfiresspit Thu 03-Mar-16 17:12:06

10 days standard now, apparently an attempt to deal with resistance...

daisydalrymple Thu 03-Mar-16 18:17:56

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now