Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

need advice - scatlet fever going round and unaire if ds is allergic to penicillin

(17 Posts)
upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 14:21:45

So, there's scarlet fever, chicken pox and strep throat spreading like wildfire in my lo school. Ds is 8 and in y3. I have 2 younger children, 5 and 6. The bugs are also going round in 5yo year but not year in 6yo year.

Being sensible/pessimistic I assume one of my kids will get one of the bugs (tho not pox cos they've all had that) and then spread it around the house. My 2 little ones are fine with penicillin but I'm not sure about my 8yo.

When he was 4 he had bacterial tonsilitis and was given penicillin. After the 1st dose he came out in a rash all over but I didn't connect the 2 things so rushed up to walk in centre as it was weekend. They said it was a reaction to the penicillin and changed his meds and all was fine afterwards.

He's never had any other reason to have antibiotics but I found out a little while ago that WIC didn't send anything to gp 're reaction to penicillin so as far as gp is concerned, he's fine with it.

If he does come down with strep or scarlet fever, can I request no penicillin ?

And on another note, how will I ever know if he is actually allergic /intolerant to penicillin ? It's not in his notes so he can't go through life saying he can't have it.... Would a gp do test doses or something ?

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 14:23:01

Ugh my phone and spelling mistakes! Title should've said unsure if ds is allergic blush

Micah Wed 02-Mar-16 14:29:37

Strep throat? Are you in the US?

If he needs antibiotics tell the prescriber about his previous experience and they'll decide what to do.

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 14:33:26

Nope not US... Devon!

Micah Wed 02-Mar-16 14:35:30

How do you know it's strep throat then? I've only ever heard that used in the US where they have a habit of swabbing sore throats for strep..

The NHS (understandably) don't bother, unnecessary expense and all that.

Just curious!

LMGTFY Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:23

Strangely enough I asked my doc yesterday if there was a way to test as I had the same reaction as your son to penicillin for bacterial tonsillitis when I was younger too, his reply is that once you've had a reaction once they won't risk it again as the next time it could be fatal. You need to outline what happened in a letter to your gp so this can be put on his rexord, they will then have the facts on which to base his future care.

LMGTFY Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:40

Micah the term strep throat has become common here, I used to just get 'tonsillitis', now they will tell you it's viral unless it's 'streptococcal'.

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 14:41:44

The school have posters up everywhere letting everyone know which contagious bugs are going round in which years. And a colleague's son had what they thought was viral tonsilitis but it didn't clear up so they swabbed and said it was strep a bacterial throat infection. Antibiotics for 48hrs before he wasn't contagious anymore.

Maybe it's a regional thing?! I work p/t at the school so hear who's off with what when there's something going round and they've def said strep infections going round confused

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 14:42:57

LMGTFY - thanks! I thought I was REALLY confused there for a sec

gandalf456 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:44:29

I am not sure if I am allergic either and their attitude is ok try a different one

MsMargaretCarter Wed 02-Mar-16 14:44:56

I have been told penicillin can often cause a rash on first use and be fine thereafter. I was told I was allergic and avoided penicillin all my life. I told a GP about this when I was 35 and he said a lot of people have been told they are allergic and are actually not - he organised a blood test for me and it turns out I am not allergic to penicillin. This GP felt it was important to establish the truth since penicillin is so useful and in some cases the alternatives are just not as good. Would be interested to know if anyone else has been told this.

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 02-Mar-16 14:51:17

I had penicillin several times with no reaction and then had had a very bad experience when I was 9 with a rash that became worse and turned into swelling and drowsiness and I was admitted to hospital and given steroids. At the time they said they couldn't be sure it was the penicillin but to be safe and not ever have it again as it could go much worse for me and be fatal- especially with the swelling. Touch wood I've never had it happen again since I've avoided penicillin, despite not knowing for sure that was what did it. I would stick to the side of caution, penicillin allergy is very dangerous.

GlitteryFluff Wed 02-Mar-16 14:53:36

Interested in this as DS is 18months and has had penicillin once and came out in an awful rash. We had to go to hospital via ambulance recently (for something else!) and they asked in the ambulance if he was allergic to penicillin. I explained the rash and they said next time it could be fatal. However I never went to the doctors after his rash so don't know if it's recorded anywhere. Hopefully now I mentioned it to paramedics and again once we reached hospital it's now noted somewhere.
I'm in Essex and the Scarlett fever outbreak is quite big here.

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 15:26:07

So it sounds like it may be a good idea to speak to gp to either have it in his notes or rule it out completely if they can do that.

Fingers crossed none of mine come down with any of the bugs going round, and hopefully I don't either! Seems to be catching everything under the sun from kids at school atm

upsidedownfrown Wed 02-Mar-16 15:32:14

Gosh some ppls experiences sound scary! Those who have seen/experienced bad reactions - how long in treatment did the bad reaction start? Or was it really gradually?

Ds rash came on in between his 1st and 2nd dose so he only had one, possibly 2 (can't remember if we gave him 2nd one) spoonfuls

GlitteryFluff Wed 02-Mar-16 16:56:45

I gave my DS the whole treatment blush. 5 days I think it was, 3 times a day. Rash didn't appear right away, but when it arrived it was all over his body but didn't twig it was that until he finished the course and it went away.

Notthinkingclearly Wed 02-Mar-16 17:21:06

Ds came out in a rash with amoxocillin. When he was 8 he had scarlet fever. He was given clarythramycin. After paediatrician offered him a penicillin challenge test in hospital after a blood test was negative. He passed ok so can now have penicillin. Worth looking into.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now