Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

13yo Travel Sickness

(6 Posts)
fluffydog19 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:16:56

Hi.
My 13yo suffers badly from travel sickness and we are going on the ferry in July, which is worrying him. I suffer myself quite badly but if I take a vertigo tablet and a ginger capsule I'm fine! My 13yo can't swallow tablets and I obviously don't want to give him my vertigo medication, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

dementedpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 12:19:52

Can they try swallowing tic tacs or something to practise with other tablets. Can you use a pill cutter to make them smaller or can they be crushed and mixed with food?

fluffydog19 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:36:17

I never thought of practicing with tic tacs! I remember my mum crushing tablets and mixing them with jam when we were younger and it was awful! I'll give the tic tacs a go.

chandelierswinging Sun 28-Feb-16 12:39:32

If the swallowing practice doesn't go well, my 6yo has Kwells Kids (available OTC), which are chewable and don't taste of much by all accounts. There is an over 12/adult dose on the back of the packet.

Smilelikeyoufeelit Sun 28-Feb-16 18:50:21

Mine take Kwells, Sturgeron and Phenergan (which comes in liquid form). Not together obviously!!They say that the tablets don't taste of much and usually wash them down with a drink.

LaughingHyena Fri 04-Mar-16 16:51:54

Practicing with tic tacs is great, we worked our way up from some small cake sprinkles when DS had to start taking daily tablets.

Also not putting the tablet to far back in your mouth helps, let the drink wash it down. Putting it too far back makes it easier to trigger the gag reflex.

He also finds it easier to take them in a spoonful or yogurt or something like that than with a drink. We always take pots of ambrosia custard when traveling as they don't need to be kept in the fridge grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now