Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

calpol dose for 8 year old

(10 Posts)
MissBeaHaving Sat 27-Feb-16 12:58:06

Any pharmacists or nurses about who can help ?
I think Ds has got the Cold virus that's going around,I've no 6+ calpol at the moment only the infant one that says 10ml 4-6 year old.

I can't find much on line or make head nor tail of it does anyone know if 15ml would be correct?

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Feb-16 13:04:34

Phone any pharmacist and they will help.

It's really not a good idea to trust the word of someone claiming to be a nurse or pharmacist on the internet.

Hope he's better soon thanks

MissBeaHaving Sat 27-Feb-16 13:07:24

Thanks Worra, I don't know why I didn't think of that !
I'm all fuzzy headed myself today & there was I thinking we'd avoided the lurgy this time.

dratsea Sun 28-Feb-16 06:33:42

I hope ds already on the mend, if not and because it is still early hours in UK will respond from NZ. Despite your fuzzy head you have worked it out correctly, technically the correct dose (7.5ml x 250mg/5ml = 375mg) of infant suspension (120mg/5ml) is 15.625 ml so 15 ml of 120mg/5ml is well safe and appropriate for 8yr old. and within accuracy of measurement. star

And if you have only adult tablets/capsules at 500mg a pop the dose (375mg) would be 3/4 of 500mg tablet, up to four times a day. Realistically you would struggle to do better than break/divide in half but 1/2 tablet every 4 hours, up to six times a day. (total 6x250 = 1.5 gram) is same as 7.5ml of 6+ Calpol 4 times a day (375 x 4 = 1.5 gram). I make no claim to be either a nurse or pharmacist was a consultant on paeds ward but you might find a link to the revised (2011) guidelines helpful. Other parents may wish to bookmark as this it is a common question.

MissBeaHaving Sun 28-Feb-16 21:52:58

Thanks Dratsea,he's still all bunged up & has a sore stomach but his temperature is better today at least.

Thanks also for the link ,I'll bookmark it for future reference as after posting yesterday I rang both our local pharmacies who were closed for the weekend ,then tried the NHS helpline who were so busy I still hadn't got through after almost half an hour, in desperation I ended up Googling the number for Boots (national chemist chain in the UK) who put me through to their pharmacist who checked the dose for me.

What a mission!
I thought the doses on the normal calpol leaflet went right up to adult ,my daughter could never take tablets so had calpol into her teens,I was so surprised when it only went 4-6.
I kept going over & over the leaflet thinking I'd missed something.

SmellySourdough Sun 28-Feb-16 22:01:04

from the bnf (the big book on the gp's desk)
Child 6–8 years 240–250 mg every 4–6 hours (max. 4 doses in 24 hours)
Child 8–10 years 360–375 mg every 4–6 hours (max. 4 doses in 24 hours)

so I would give 250 mg, either half an adult tablet or the equivilant baby dose.

chocdonutyy Sun 28-Feb-16 22:10:17

It's because they want you to buy the expensive 6+ range instead or as well as if you have children of different ages, they always used to go up to a higher age.
Quick tip, ask the pharmacist for a generic version, sometimes from the dispensary, always cheaper and the same applies to any kids calpol/nurofen/calprofen. The only difference is you're only paying for the adverts with the branded versions.

MissBeaHaving Sun 28-Feb-16 22:17:16

That makes sense chocnuty & you are right I do end up with the different bottles for different ages.
I will try the generic types in future as Ds did question why it was a different colour but happily took it so if I can save a bit it all helps.

MissBeaHaving Sun 28-Feb-16 22:20:53

Smellysourdough I'd love it if I could give him half a paracetamol,they are pennies compared to children's medicine!
I've made a note on leaflet myself now but hopefully this won't happen again, I was just so foggy headed yesterday I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

SmellySourdough Sun 28-Feb-16 22:41:43

you can get melting tablets.
not quite as cheap as 'just' tablets but much cheaper than the children's solution.
or buy capsules and mix half the contents with jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now