Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 yr old up during the night for the toilet

(8 Posts)
PJ67 Sat 27-Feb-16 09:41:50

Anyone else's dc's do this? He goes for a week before bed and isn't drinking any more than usual but has started getting up during the night. He gets back to sleep quick so isn't really an issue but I just wondered if he should manage to go till morning.

rainbowunicorn Sat 27-Feb-16 11:00:04

I get up at night to go to the toilet sometimes as do my children and partner, I really do not think there is anything unusual about it.

Olivo Sat 27-Feb-16 16:39:26

My 9yo DD goes at least once ,sometimes twice. I go myself most nights. Neither of us drink after about6pm.

Flossieflower01 Sat 27-Feb-16 16:42:38

The symptoms of type 1 diabetes are Thirst, needing the Toilet more, losing weight (Thin) and being Tired, so if you dc shows other signs then please get them tested.

BackforGood Sat 27-Feb-16 16:58:22

dd2 does, but she always have. She's always had issues with urgency, she was late being dry at all at night, etc.,etc.
I think, as with all helath care, it's a change in what's 'normal' for any person that raises concerns. Of course, it could just be he needed it a couple of times and then has become a habit.

Scone1nSixtySeconds Sat 27-Feb-16 17:12:52

Adding to flossie's post - I hadn't clocked the thirst at all with ds. He also had a really sore tummy/nausea on and off for weeks. It just needs a quick urine test at the gp to rule it out.

DS was diagnosed on his 9th birthday.

PJ67 Sat 27-Feb-16 17:29:06

Thanks for the replies. Would he be going more during the day as well if it was diabetes? Don't really notice any other symptoms but I'm a bit of a worrier so may hand in a sample. Does a urine test always show something in diabetes?

Scone1nSixtySeconds Sat 27-Feb-16 19:45:17

As with all things each child is slightly different. I hadn't noticed ds going to the loo more during the day and he hadn't complained of sore eyes either (which is another classic symptom).

For what it's worth, he saw the gp 6 times before being diagnosed by the out of hours service. GPs don't always consider a type 1 diagnosis, but as it is so easily ruled out (yes, as far as I know a dip test is infallible) I would ask for the test.

It's an autoimmune disease, not a result of doing anything 'wrong', ds has said he just felt 'foggy' all the time before diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now