Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glasses making my dd squint more

(7 Posts)
ArielBelleElsa Sun 21-Feb-16 20:04:43

My dd , aged 3 , has been wearing glasses (prescription left +2.0; right +1.50) for about a month now. She wears them constantly in the day which we were surprised at as we thought it would be a battle !

Anyway, we have noticed that, when she takes them off, her eyes are turning in even more than before and really wobbly/totally crossed inwards (particularly left eye)

We are really puzzled by it and have jotted down the following questions to ask at her next eye appt, but in the meantime-can anyone shed any light on this or answer any of our questions. Thanks.

1. Will glasses fix the squint?

2. Why when she takes glasses off are eyes turning more now than before?

3. On her eye test, her Vision was ok so why is she squinting?

4. What Likely progress will be made with just glasses?

5 what other intervention is likely?

winchester1 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:13:56

I have a similar prescription and I noticed when I got my glasses (at 10) that I squinted more when I took them off as I was trying to everything I could with my glasses on rather than just see as much as I.could pre glasses if that makes sense.
Without glasses I.squint as it helps me see more.

Something to.keep an eye on is if she was tired when she had the eye test the glasses may be stronger than she needs. For me.when this happens I feel really distracted with my glasses on like my eyes are being pulled open ifyknwim and sometimes skint with them on.

Karoleann Sun 21-Feb-16 22:13:59

Hi. Optom here:

1. No, the glasses will only improve the squint when she's wearing them. The point of them is to ensure both eyes are working together which will improve the potential visual acuity in each eye and also ensure both eyes work together (binocular vision). If she doesn't wear them one eye will become permanently lazy and will never be able to see all the letters on the test chart, she will also not develop full binocular vision.

2. Fairly normal, as winchester said.

3. It possible for the eyes to overcome longsightedness/hyperopia/+prescriptions by altering in focus of the lens in their eye. Doing this though, also causes the eye to converge (turn inwards). Some people have a high AC/A ratio, which means that their eyes converge more than expected when they accommodate to overcome their longsightedness.

4. If depends, if her squint is fully corrected just by wearing glasses, she can just keep wearing them and everything will be fine. She can wear contacts when she's older. If she still has a little residual squint with the glasses on they may operate on that.

5. If they do find that one eye is not seeing as well as the other, they may opt to patch the better eye to encourage the poorer eye to work harder and therefore develop normally.

Hope that made sense!

cherrylola Sun 21-Feb-16 22:37:48

I have started to notice my DS 2.5yo squint more when he isn't wearing his glasses recently. He has has glasses for 9 months and a patch for a couple of hours a day for 3 months. At his last check up a week ago (after patching for 3 months) they were really pleased with his results so we are continuing to patch for another 3 months then going back for another check up.

DP and I both had squints as children, he grew out of his apparently (no sign of it now) but I had glasses, patches and 2 operations.

No one has mentioned surgery for DS yet.

Groovee Sun 21-Feb-16 22:41:36

My Ds has had glasses since he was 10 months old. He doesn't squint when wearing the glasses, but the minute they come off he starts squinting again. He says he struggles to focus without them. He's 13 now!

ArielBelleElsa Mon 22-Feb-16 06:53:22

Thanks for the replies. My questions have been answered very well.

One final thing, is it possible she'll grow out of it?

Tge squint is quite bad now when she takes her glasses off and tries to focus on me/object.

Thanks for the advice.

Groovee Mon 22-Feb-16 08:11:19

Not 100 percent sure. Ds is +7 in one eyes and +6 in the other. Dd is +4 in both eyes and both have stayed similar since they were diagnosed. However dh who was very short sighted has on his own gone back to 20/20 vision on his own for some odd reason in his 40's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now