Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sticky eye

(6 Posts)
omri Mon 15-Feb-16 23:41:57

What's the best thing to deal with sticky eye in a 2 yr old. It's been bad all day but have been able to keep it clean.

She's been asleep since 8pm tonight but was a bit unsettled there so I went in to her- I can see the gunky eye was completely stuck shut... Is cooled boiled water and cotton wool the only thing? Is there something available that I could pick up in boots in the morning?

Thanks...

Fairylea Mon 15-Feb-16 23:43:05

Get an appointment with a GP and they will prescribe some antibiotic eye drops.

PeopleOnTheEdgeOfTheNight Mon 15-Feb-16 23:44:34

Cooled boiled water and cotton wool should help tonight. The pharmacist or GP can give you eye drops tomorrow if it's conjunctivitis. Some children get a day of this at the start of a cold, which clears up without treatment, just keeping it clean.

omri Mon 15-Feb-16 23:48:19

Thanks. Will pharmacist be able to tell if it's conjunctivitis or will I have to go to gp for that diagnosis?

PeopleOnTheEdgeOfTheNight Tue 16-Feb-16 01:00:26

Pharmacists can prescribe drops for conjunctivitis through the minor ailments scheme (at least they can here in Scotland). You'll probably get a same day gp appointment if you call in the morning.

Best wishes.

omri Tue 16-Feb-16 14:00:22

Thanks all. Was up all night with her as she had some tummy bug. She vomited three times but has been ok since. Just poorly but drinking fluids and keeping it down...
So obviously was v low immune and coming down with something yesterday...?
Going to the chemist now to talk to them but hopefully it was just a 24 hour bug... Her eyes seem clearer now although not completely yet.

Thanks for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now