Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this a cold sore on my baby's lip? (photo)

(6 Posts)
bumpertobumper Sat 13-Feb-16 12:25:50

Sorry for feeding shot, the only way I could get up close to take a pic. It did have a bit of a crust on it.
DD is just 1. I so hope it's not. I am not that familiar with them, would appreciate any thoughts on whether it looks like a cold sore or just a bit chapped (although position would indicate the former).
Thanks

TheAussieProject Sat 13-Feb-16 20:35:04

No, I don't think it is a cold sore. I would opt for a angular cheilitis, when a crack forms at the corner of the lips. Moisture (saliva/milk) exacerbates it.
From the picture I can't really see if it is infected.

bumpertobumper Sat 13-Feb-16 20:47:30

Thanks Aussie, I hadn't heard of angular chelitis before but after a bit of googling I think that's what it is. Thanks again

TyrionLannistersShadow Sat 13-Feb-16 20:51:34

I thought of impetigo when I saw it tbh!

ProfessorPickles Sat 13-Feb-16 20:53:53

DS had something similar around 1 and I remember panicking thinking he had caught a cold sore from someone but it went and never came back

TheAussieProject Sat 13-Feb-16 23:22:39

You can put some vaseline on it. I use a cream called homeoplasmine, it is 96% vaseline and some calendula, benzoin and boric acid which are antiseptic and anti fungal. Works wonder for all cracks, sore and dry lips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now