Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ear infection with discharge. back to doctor?

(7 Posts)
kate1516 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:50:09

Toddler has an ear infection following a bad cold. Went to doctor yesterday who said he does have an infection but didn't want to prescribe antibiotics and to kep an eye on him for a few days and come back if he isn't better after three days. He is still ill with a high temperature and no improvement. Actually he is a bit worse.

Today he has started getting discharge from his ear which the nhs says might be a burst ear drum. Should I take him back to the doctor or will he get better now?

Thanks

loubielou2 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:54:03

Take him back asap. I took my 12 year old to GP today with high temp., ear pain, dizziness etc and it was "viral" but he did say to me "if he develops a discharge from his ear, bring him back as it will require antibiotics".

Mumteedum Wed 10-Feb-16 17:56:05

Now. Always been given antibiotics with any discharge. Not worth risk of damage by leaving it.

Mumteedum Wed 10-Feb-16 17:56:45

Sorry. I write like I'm texting sometimes. blush

kate1516 Wed 10-Feb-16 19:37:03

I will call them first thing tomorrow then and try and get him an appointment. Poor thing actually seems in less pain but more feverish but he also has a bad cold and isn't sleeping well so hard to tell what is doing what. Thanks for the advice.

kate1516 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:44:01

Been to the doctors and they have now prescribed antibiotics so thanks for the advice. Hopefully he will be on the mend soon

Mumteedum Thu 11-Feb-16 16:03:28

Hi kate. Thats good news, sure he will be back to normal in no time. My DS had ear infection v recently. Bounced back after couple days at most. He also takes the medicine from the spoon now he's older, thank goodness. Used to have to try all sorts to get it in him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now