Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very sad - may be triggering. Seriously ill.

(14 Posts)
Trooperslane Mon 01-Feb-16 13:01:41

My very good friends got the horrific news that her DS has a brain tumour and is understandably struggling.

She's keen to read something about strength and courage/ getting through impossible situations. Could anyone recommend something?

I've suggested the Andrew Johnston apps and mindfulness.

Thanks

Trooperslane Mon 01-Feb-16 19:26:16

Bump?

BlackSwan Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:38

I'm so sorry to read about this. My son had a brain tumour when he was younger and is now doing well. FB has some very good groups of parents with kids with different tumours. In the early days it can be a bit confronting to read the posts, but those kind of things are a source of great support and information for many people.

Trooperslane Tue 02-Feb-16 07:34:28

Thanks black swan. So good to hear of a happy outcome.

I'll mention those groups

flixybelle Tue 02-Feb-16 20:10:27

Trooperslane:My best friend has just had the same news. Struggling to know how to support her.

Blackswan Can I ask what type he had?

ktmummy1 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:25:47

If you don't mind sharing, what were his symptoms please? I have concerns about one of my children. The GP was dismissive and implied I was an over anxious Mum. I know symptoms can vary but id be interested all the same.

HaveIGotAClue Tue 02-Feb-16 20:37:50

I have two things I turn to in times of fear.

One is this poem.

If by Rudyard Kipling

and the second is the chapter 'Psalms' in the Bible.

An actual physical bible where your friend can browse the psalms would be best. Most new testament bibles have psalms (indexed) for times of fear/sorrow/suffering/anger/guilt/injustice. I find psalms soothing despite not really believing in God.

It's something to do. Even if you just argue with the bible. I just found it something to do.

HaveIGotAClue Tue 02-Feb-16 20:39:18

And I should add, that I am so sorry that your friend and her child has had such devastating and crushing news. I'm very sorry. Nobody should have to hear that.

HaveIGotAClue Tue 02-Feb-16 20:51:33

here is an example of a psalm with regards to illness. Clearly, illness is a time when you are more likely to turn from God than turn to him. Also depends on whether your friend believes at all.

Psalm 6:2, 3
I am worn out, O Lord; have pity on me! Give me strength; I am completely exhausted and my whole being is deeply troubled. How long, O Lord, will you wait to help me?

I have gone straight from such psalms to psalms about anger. It kept me occupied.

PS - I don't really believe. I just found it to be the most soothing thing to read/argue with and argue about.

Trooperslane Wed 03-Feb-16 12:37:59

Thank you guys - he got through his op well last night and is perky this morning. Consultants are happy so we just need everything crossed that this continues

Good luck all sending flowers

HaveIGotAClue Wed 03-Feb-16 13:28:58

That sounds really positive! Hopefully all will be well!

Tholeonagain Fri 05-Feb-16 20:39:04

I think just be there, as it sounds like you are doing. Help with the practical stuff as much as you can: clean the house, or babysit siblings, or freeze some meals for them. Pass on news to others if they don't want to do it themselves. Maybe organise some others to help too if you can. I am glad they have a good friend.

Tholeonagain Fri 05-Feb-16 20:42:06

Sorry you were looking specifically for stuff she can read.. Not sure but will keep thinking x

Trooperslane Sun 07-Feb-16 14:40:20

Cheers all.

The best news today - he's home and is smiling his cheeky smile again! seems like op has been a resounding success.

I'm so proud of all 3 of them and it's a privilege to be their friend.

I'm full the cold as is dd so we will leave them to it til we're feeling better.

I'm flabbergasted that he had such a huge day in surgery and has bounced back so fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now