Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lethargic and non responsive toddler - but now fine?

(9 Posts)
Misty9 Wed 27-Jan-16 10:27:28

This morning dd, 21 months, slept late and woke crying which is very unlike her. She was then floppy and non responsive to tickling etc for about an hour, but has slowly perked up over the last hour. She now has a fever which I've given calpol for, but is talking and cracking jokes etc as normal. Still a bit lethargic and wants a blanket on but feels hot to the touch. Is eating.

What do I do? Called gp earlier but no appts left and they advised a&e! Just don't know and hate being seen as over anxious mother!

ThomasRichard Wed 27-Jan-16 10:38:46

If it was my DD then I'd take her to A&E but fully expect to be seen at the connected Urgent GP centre (you have to be triaged there through A&E).

If she goes floppy & unresponsive again then call an ambulance.

TwoLittleBlooms Wed 27-Jan-16 10:42:05

Not sure of the best advise - but in my opinion if the surgery have said to go to A&E then that is what I personally would do and tell them there that the surgery have told you to come to A&E. The unresponsiveness would concern me even if it has passed. Hope your little girl is OK.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 27-Jan-16 10:54:35

Go to A&E please - if you are worried, they should be worried to. At the very least get her checked out.

sugar21 Wed 27-Jan-16 10:58:24

Go to a&e NOW do not take any chances. Please just go ! ! ! !

outputgap Wed 27-Jan-16 10:58:47

Go to A and E. Floppy and unresponsive means the emergency doctors will be very happy to see you. This is not being a fussy mum.

I had a floppy baby who then roused. When I went to A and E I was apologetic but they were very worried, admitted her immediately and put her on iv antibiotics immediately. She was fine in the end, but honestly, just go. You are absolutely not wasting anyone's time.

GlitteryFluff Wed 27-Jan-16 11:26:37

How worrying. It's always worth getting little ones checked out. Hope all is ok.

Witchend Wed 27-Jan-16 11:44:52

If she's perked up now then I wouldn't worry.
Eating and sitting up cracking jokes sounds fine to dose with calpol and watch.
However I'd probably have gathered her up and taken her in when she was unresponsive to tickling for an hour.

Ds, when he has tonsillitis needs to sleep it off, and goes very sleepy, but once he's properly woken he's fine.

Misty9 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:00:10

Thanks all. I took her to the walk in centre in the end and of course all is fine. But I'm glad I did as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now