Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 week old struggling to pooh

(3 Posts)
Trace38 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:25:01

Hi, I'm breastfeeding my 8 week old and age poops 2-3 times a day. They're a bit like carrot soup and arrive loudly(!) but last Thursday she was really straining to pooh (up until now poos have exploded out without any real warning). She stretches her arms and legs and strains and cries for a long while until eventually she goes. The consistency hasn't changed since before, so I'm not sure why she is struggling to go (she's pooing everyday but it seems a real effort to get it out and she's getting upset and stressed). Could it be something simple like she is now more aware of going to the toilet? Has anyone else experienced this?

NotSpartacus Mon 25-Jan-16 19:30:24

This is normal. There isn't much waste from breastmilk, and consequently breastfed babies often poo less (mine could go days in between), and when they do go they have to make more of an effort. There is nothing wrong.

NotSpartacus Mon 25-Jan-16 19:32:21

Sorry, didn't read your post properly (dratted headcold) , but I still wouldn't worry about it. I expect it's just that her poos are not shooting out anymore now her digestion is settling down, and you're probably right she's a bit more aware of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now