Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pit and Fissure Sealant for my 7 year old molars

(10 Posts)
Sunnydays35 Sat 23-Jan-16 22:32:57

My ds7 has his first permanent back molars coming in, I have been reading about pit and fissure sealant for these teeth that are done as soon as they come in. My dentist is not keen and just says she does not like to do this, but all the research I have seen says it is a good idea. I really want him to have it done, we have had lots of trouble with his baby teeth. How do I go about getting this done for him if my dentist will not agree. Also is there any down sides to these sealants? Thanku

dementedpixie Sat 23-Jan-16 23:02:50

Did the dentist say why not? Both my children have had fissure sealants

Sunnydays35 Sat 23-Jan-16 23:18:28

I enquired a year back before they came through and she said something about still needing good dental hygiene.didn't really make sense. We are so careful with brushing and what he eats now and I am very paranoid after the problems he has had and really want them done.😁

Olivo Sun 24-Jan-16 21:29:18

My dentist is not a fan either, said it wouldn't be necessary. This surprised me, I thought it was a good practice. Maybe a dentist might come along and tell us why. Otherwise, I will ask next time!

Potterwolfie Sun 24-Jan-16 21:36:25

Our dentist in the USA did this as soon as adult molars came in. Mentioned it to our UK dentist now back home and she just sniffed a bit and looked faintly unimpressed. I'm going to ask again for DS2 and see what the reason is behind now doing it, as it seems sensible and preventative. We still insist on scrupulous teeth cleaning.

Potterwolfie Sun 24-Jan-16 21:36:54

*not doing it

Sunnydays35 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:45:00

I would be grateful if you could let me know what they say if you do ask your dentists? Thanku so much.

Toughasoldboots Sun 24-Jan-16 21:51:20

Mine suggested it for my dd who has ASD and really bad at teeth brushing. She has had all of them done as soon as they come through.

DramaAlpaca Sun 24-Jan-16 21:54:24

All my DC had fissure sealants in their adult molars when they were fully through. They are in their late teens and early 20s now and none of them have needed fillings. We are in Ireland and got them done privately, which was quite expensive but well worth it IMO.

I had fissure sealants done in my back teeth over 30 years ago. The sealants are still in place & I haven't needed any fillings, so my experience is very positive.

ReallyTired Mon 25-Jan-16 15:03:35

The argument against fissure sealents too young is that the teeth need minerals in the saliva to harden. However there are pourous materials that the teeth can be sealed with. My son had fissure sealents and it was expensive, but its been well worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now