Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

rotavirus vaccine??

(4 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Thu 21-Jan-16 09:12:43

I'm sure this has spread been asked..i tried to search for it but my stupid phone isn't working..

My son had his first jabs yesterday (he is 13 weeks 6 days today - he was meant to have them at 8 weeks but had bronchiolitis at 7 weeks so I had to move it. Yesterday was the only appointment I could get for him..) anyway, he had his jabs gave him Calpol just afterwards in the waiting room and he HAS been fine apart from having absolutely incredible (and painful) wind... He has had a brown adult like poo too - he is ebf) I wasnt told that anything like this was going to happen except to expect a high temp for the men b jab... Is this normal. If it is how long will it last. Will infacol help?? My DD 7 didn't have the rotavirus vaccine (in only came in around 2 years ago according to the nurse) so I haven't heard anything about it... Hv didn't mention anything either. Xx

Doublebubblebubble Thu 21-Jan-16 09:13:23

Question not spread - don't know what happened there lol x

timemaychangeme Thu 21-Jan-16 22:56:08

Doublebubble I was staying with dd when dgd had both lots of rotavirus drops. She also had violent wind, didn't poo for nearly 2 days and was very sleepy for about 4 days. For the first 24 hours she slept a lot and whenever she woke, screamed (as if in discomfort with tummyache). Her friend's dd who had hers at the same time, had dreadful runs, wind and was screaming for about 2 or 3 days.

I'd say dgd wan't back to her usual chirpy self for 4 days after her jabs and it seemed to be the rotavirus that had the main side-effects for her. When she had the last lot without the rotavirus, she wasn't nearly as miserable. DD wasn't expecting the tummy problems and like you, nobody had said anything about it at the GPs. All the babies that dd knows of who had theirs round the same time all had some sort of stomach issues after it though.

I hope your little one is soon over it. If it's any consolation, dd had actual rotavirus when she was 14 months and it was just awful. We ended up in an isolation room and I had to spoon teaspoons of water into her to try avoid her needing an iv in. She couldn't keep any more water than a teaspoonful at a time down and the crampy diahorrea was dreadful and went on for a few weeks. She had a very high temp and was very unwell. It really is a nasty infection.

Focusfocus Fri 22-Jan-16 06:13:49

Ours had the rota vaccine didn't poo for five days produced the most evil smelling noxious gas ever till we went to Gp and got w suppository. Stuck it in, he shat for Britain and we were spared the stinky farts

Next dose coming up need to find the suppositories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now