Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox

(6 Posts)
ruthsmaoui77 Wed 13-Jan-16 17:16:41

Hello all, it's my first time posting here. My ds (7) was sent home from school today as he has 2 small red spots on his face and 2 small red spots on his arm. School thought it might be chicken pox. I'm not sure at all. No new spots have come up at all and the spots haven't filled with pus yet. He was sent home at 10.30 and it's now after 5 so that's over 6 hours. I think the spots may just be bites. How will I know for sure if it is chicken pox? Will the spots be filled with pus by morning? If the spots haven't filled with pus do you think it would be safe to send him to school? He seems fine and well, eating normally, not irritable (well no more than usual, lol). Obviously I wouldn't send him in if there is a reasonable chance he does have chicken pox. I wouldn't want to infect anyone else. I'm just looking for advice really. Thanks

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jan-16 18:08:03

They don't fill with pus but look blister like with clear fluid. He may get more overnight though if it is chicken pox

daisydalrymple Wed 13-Jan-16 18:10:13

You should probably know by the morning if he has it, they generally multiply overnight once it starts. Is it doing the rounds at the moment?

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:28:04

Thanks for that. I will check him carefully in the morning. In a way I hope it is chicken pox because I've been searching the net and now I'm worried he may have been bitten by bed bugs or dust mites. I really hope it's not bed bugs. I'm just going to dash off, change his bedding and hoover the mattress. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!! I hate bugs of all kinds. I feel itchy just thinking about it.

CarrieLouise25 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:48:06

From NHS site: Although the rash starts as small, itchy red spots, these develop a blister on top and become intensely itchy after about 12-14 hours.
After a day or two, the fluid in the blisters gets cloudy and they begin to dry out and crust over. New spots can keep appearing in waves for three to five days after the rash begins. Therefore, different clusters of spots may be at different stages of blistering or drying out.

So hopefully you'll know by morning?

Wishing your DS a speedy recovery if it is x

ruthsmaoui77 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:56:38

Thank goodness, no sign of bed bugs. What a relief!!! I guess I just have to wait and see. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now