Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD just pooped a chunk of pepper...

(11 Posts)
SparklyTinselTits Wed 13-Jan-16 10:56:23

DD is 8mo, been BLW since 6mo. She eats more or less anything I put in front of her.
Last night we had pasta bake (turkey breast, red peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese), she wolfed it down smile
But she's just done a poo, with a chunk of red pepper in it. It looks exactly the same as it did when I chopped it!
Is that normal? I've seen bits of partially chewed food in her poo before, but this looked like she had just swallowed it whole confused should I be worried that she's not chewing her food?!

Poledra Wed 13-Jan-16 11:04:20

Nah, they all do this. I remember Dh calling me anxiously 'Pol! Look at this in DD's nappy! What is it? What's wrong with her?' It was a sultana, completely intact but bleached white during its transit through her innards grin. Worth making sure her food is cut up small enough to prevent choking but I'm sure you're doing that already.

Someone on here once opened their baby's nappy to find the poo looking at them - apparently, stick-on googly eyes also pass through a baby's digestive system unharmed...

SparklyTinselTits Wed 13-Jan-16 11:19:55

grin at the Googly eyes grin
She didn't cough or seem to be struggling to swallow anything last night...maybe she's like her dad and just wolfs down food that quickly, chewing has become superfluous hmm

MrsJayy Wed 13-Jan-16 11:25:11

The in and out process for babies is quicker so somethings are not digested as you expected i had a mum at work show me a nappy with a half grape in it <bleurgh>

Moln Wed 13-Jan-16 11:28:33

Normal

Have you given her sweet corn yet? smile

SparklyTinselTits Wed 13-Jan-16 11:42:46

Moln yes she's chewed on baby corn, which did come out but it was so tiny I didn't really think anything of it! But this chunk of pepper really surprised me!

MrsJayy Wed 13-Jan-16 11:45:58

Sometimes they forget to chew

Moln Wed 13-Jan-16 11:46:39

She probably just swallowed it then. If you swallow sweet corn it comes out whole too.

Poledra Wed 13-Jan-16 11:50:49

Apparently it's also fun to give them blueberries then let your DH change the nappy. The resulting purple poo can cause quite some alarm grin

SparklyTinselTits Wed 13-Jan-16 12:05:38

We've had a bright green poo before...thanks to copious amounts of broccoli that was eaten. But not had a purple one yet grin

Msrichardofyork Wed 13-Jan-16 12:16:23

This is a bit horrible but I once fed my then 10m old some sugar snap peas/mangetout (never know what they're really called) and the next day, to great alarm, I thought is saw loads of worms in the toilet.

Cue investigations with a cotton bud and a paper plate confused and they turned out to be the rather indigestible fibres that you get where the 'join' is.

Sorry anyone eating lunch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now