Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Braces - how long before the pain stops?

(3 Posts)
neolara Tue 12-Jan-16 23:14:32

My 11yo dd had braces fitted yesterday. Initially she was fine but today they clearly hurt a lot as she is feeling very sorry for herself and she very rarely complains about anything.

I told her I'd ask the collective wisdom of MN how long it would take before it stopped being so sore and if there is anything we can do to make it more bearable.

slicedfinger Tue 12-Jan-16 23:16:15

Calpol helps. DD finds they hurt for two or three days whenever she has a big adjustment. She is a terrible moan though.

Wombat87 Tue 12-Jan-16 23:20:37

I had paracetamol mixed with codine tabs with my wisdom teeth. I don't know if you can give them to kids - they're behind the counter in the chemists. They definitely worked tho.

I sympathise greatly. I have adult braces (Invisalign). I change retainers every 2 weeks, so just as it stops aching, j change and it starts again.

Train tracks I remember as a tween and God they hurt. Couple of days they'll settle down. Just remind her it's the braces working and one day it'll be worth it (and wear the retainer)!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now