Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I get her eye looked at?

(11 Posts)
VocationalGoat Sun 10-Jan-16 18:09:34

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Late this morning, DD (5) was pojrd in the eye with a fork by totally blasé, unaware 19 month old. It was a toddler fork that he normally eats with ( and doesn't usually poke out eyeballs with...until now), but it's a sharp fork.
The eye bled a bit and there doesn't seem to be major damage/trauma but the pain is really bothering her. We've done cold compress, wet cloths, resting the eye, but 7 hours later, the pain is still very uncomfortable. Dad is a GP and though he's looked her over, be is very blasé about it. He thinks she's being 'a wuss'. I think she should be taken to Moorfields for a check. Am I overreacting? I've attached a photo. Thank you!

VocationalGoat Sun 10-Jan-16 18:10:23

Pojrd? Oh dear. That must be pigeon Norwegian for 'poked'.

ktmummy1 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:29:37

Which part of the eye was poked? And bled? If it was the eyeball I would definitely check it out but if eye lid, I probably wouldn't

MadauntofA Sun 10-Jan-16 18:37:12

Definitely get her checked - they can put fluorescene in her eye to check if there is a tear - they can be v painful and will need antibiotic drops if there is a tear.

musicinspring1 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:40:18

Where are you near? My parents live near an eye hospital with a drop in centre. Mum waited when she had something wrong b with her eye. I want to say Roehampton but I'm not sure. Do you have anything like that? Or do opticians check things like that? ( tomorrow obviously ). I guess it would have to be out of hours Dr's if it needed to be tonight.

Kbear Sun 10-Jan-16 18:41:28

Moorfields has an A&E - I would take her just to prevent potential infection

Jibberjabberjooo Sun 10-Jan-16 19:32:17

Yes, it could get infected. Unless your dh has a lamp that the ophthalmic team use he can't see in it properly.

VocationalGoat Sun 10-Jan-16 21:36:06

Thank you kindly, all of you. I think I'll take her into the Western Eye Hospital in Marylebone tomorrow morning (easier to get to than Moorfields- which I would have gone to otherwise).
Although dad is thinking of putting her on a course of antibiotic drops, he won't be able to bring them home until he finishes work tomorrow, which will be around 8:30-9pm.
Also, MadauntofA I'd like to get it properly looked at. The bleeding came from inside the corner of the eye and even now, as she is dropping off, late to bed, she is struggling with residual pain.
Thank you everyone for your very kind and helpful advice. I really appreciate it. flowers

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 11-Jan-16 12:33:53

Did you take her op? You can't mess around with eyes. I spent years working in ophthalmics and wouldn't hesitate to get my own dc's eyes checked after some of the injuries I've seen. I hope she's ok.

VocationalGoat Tue 12-Jan-16 21:24:02

Thanks a million jibberjabberjooo for checking in. That's so kind of you. grin
Yes I took her to the Western Eye Hospital in the end and she does have a superficial tear on the eyeball. They've given her some antibiotic drops and the tear should heal on its own over a short period of time. It just means she's a bit sensitive to light and a bit uncomfortable. It could have been worse, but I feel terribly that our little one managed to jab his sister in the eye with a fork as I stood by in the very room. I feel awful. sad

But thanks so much again for asking! I bet you've seen it all... a fork in the eye is probably easy street to someone like you with your experience in the field. You must have some stories!

MadauntofA Tue 12-Jan-16 21:57:02

Glad she has been treated. If it makes you feel any better, my sister once jabbed me in the eye with a stick from pick up sticks by accident because she was losing when we were old enough to know bettergrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now