Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headlice

(8 Posts)
Sara46 Sun 03-Jan-16 11:45:07

Looking for some help, I discovered last week on Tuesday that my daughter had headlice. I treated her hair straight away, have been combing through everyday with conditioner and will re treat her hair on Tuesday which is 7 days from when I first noticed them.

The question I have is when I am combing through her hair I am still finding lice, they are dead though but I am wondering if she still has live lice and I am killing them in the process of conditioning and removal or whether they were dead anyway from the treatment. Does anyone have any experience of this ? If the lice were live today , and I combed them out after conditioning should they come off the comb alive ? I hope that makes sense. Thank you!

Idefix Sun 03-Jan-16 12:24:29

The conditioner won't kill them so it sounds like they are dead already. Is your dd hair very thick and/or long? If yes this might explain why you are still finding dead ones from the treatment.
Fwiw I think the combing can be done every three days.

Sara46 Sun 03-Jan-16 14:04:06

Idefix many thanks for replying. My DD hair is very thick , long and curly so it may well be that I'm still finding dead ones. I'm so paranoid she still has live ones but all of the ones I'm finding so far have been dead. Thank you!

HooseRice Sun 03-Jan-16 14:05:53

After treating I find dead lice for a week or so when combing.

insancerre Sun 03-Jan-16 14:09:05

The only way to get rid of head lice is the conditioner method that physically removes live lice and eggs
This is because the lice are immune to all the chemicals used in the lotions

dementedpixie Sun 03-Jan-16 14:13:53

No they're not. Treatments like Hedrin suffocate the lice rather than killing them chemically and they can't become immune to them. You do need to re-treat so you kill any baby lice that hatch from eggs remaining in the hair

Sara46 Sun 03-Jan-16 14:51:40

Thank you all of you who have replied. Really helpful. Hoping they are all dead, I will re treat on the 7th dayband keep up with the combing!

dementedpixie Sun 03-Jan-16 15:05:03

Even after the second treatment, keep combing for about a week afterwards as lice could still be hatching

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now