Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby sore skin on back of head

(2 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sat 02-Jan-16 19:10:12

My 6 month old has a bald patch on the back of his head. Apart from lying down alot he has a habit of turning his head from side to side alot, especially when feeding where if he's in a busy room he will repeatedly turn to look at what's going on. And I feed lying in a bed or sofa so there's friction in the back of his head.The problem is is that it hasn't stopped there. The skin on one circular patch in the middle of his bald patch became red and irritated from the way he turns his head from side to side, rubbing it against the sheets, or the back of his bouncy chair.

It's at the point where the skin is getting scaley and I am now seriously starting to worry that this could result in a permanent bald patch or something.

I plan on continuing trying to minimise lying down time as well as trying to encourage him to learn to sit up, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this and what did you do? I have never heard of it getting worse than a simple bald patch and I don't understand why it has got this bad as its not like I leave my baby lying around unattended all the time. Its just that he's a baby who can't sit unaided yet, so he's going to have his head resting against something almost all of the tIme.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 03-Jan-16 10:58:22

I would see the GP OP. It sounds as though he may have a fungal infection...a combination of cradle cap and irritated skin from friction can also cause infection. It's not a big deal but he may need a special cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now