Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

GP or HV?

(7 Posts)
notagain15 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:00:55

EBF 5 month old has had diarrhoea for 7 days. Instead of usual one poo every 24hours it's at least 10, including some at night. Jelly-like. No other symptoms (except increased grumpiness) and not dehydrated so I'm not sure what a GP could do beyond say 'feed lots, come back if it carries on'. But I am a bit concerned. But last time I saw GP, 2 months ago (baby refusing to feed & not gaining weight), I got told off for troubling GP instead of HV so I'm now anxious!

MooseAndSquirrel Tue 29-Dec-15 19:13:23

I would see the gp personally.
My hv is a bit rubbish and would take ages to get back to me, and that long with a dicky tummy would worry me.
I think its more of a medical issue, but then my girls were mainly FF so wouldn't know if that's normal for EBF - hopefully some successful BF with more knowledge be along shortly smile

YeOldeTrout Tue 29-Dec-15 19:51:54

Personally I wouldn't see a GP or HV. Babe sounds fine overall, just ride it out.

WowOoo Tue 29-Dec-15 19:56:54

I wouldn't see either if you're not overly worried.

I (dh) gave a bottle of water as well as BF to give me a break and keep dc as hydrated as possible. It didn't do any harm.

But go to GP if you are worried. Hope your baby gets better soon.

FusionChefGeoff Tue 29-Dec-15 20:10:04

Dehydration is the main concern here as babies can go downhill pretty quickly. So as long as you are happy that they are taking in a lot of fluid, soft spot is not sunken, mouth not dry, skin nice and pink then I would agree not really bothering either at this stage.

Generally the best indicator is your baby and if he remains generally well he's probably fine.

I lost count of the number of times I heard 'is he generally well in himself? Feeding ok? Wet and dirty nappies? - well I'm sure there's nothing to worry about..."

soundsystem Tue 29-Dec-15 20:29:46

I'd go to the GP - not sure the HV could really do much, other than send you to the GP? (I may be baised: stopped going to the health visitor as they only ever told me to make a GP appointment anyway)

artisanroast Wed 30-Dec-15 20:08:42

I would see the GP - 7 days is a long time and there could be an infection causing it. They may ask for s stool sample.

However... Choose a different GP to the one you saw last time. That one sounds like an arse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now