Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone else's DC throw up before they get ill?

(12 Posts)
Thurlow Thu 17-Dec-15 12:25:06

Just curious if this is quite normal. 4yo has never really had a tummy bug, fortunately. However, just before she comes down with a bug and her temperature starts to spike, most times she will throw up once or twice - it's almost like her first warning sign. So yesterday she threw up twice at nursery, I was all ready for a vomiting bug, but it's just turned into a pretty normal fever illness.

Is this a common thing?

longdiling Thu 17-Dec-15 12:31:53

Could it be to do with the glands in her tummy? My eldest doesn't throw up but she always gets tummy pains if she's coming down with something. Our Dr reckoned it was the glands in her tummy.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Thu 17-Dec-15 12:43:33

Not my DS, but when I was a child I would vomit for a day before coming down with any bug

Naty1 Thu 17-Dec-15 12:49:29

dd throws up with fever.
so with ear infection/uti.
hand foot and mouth
i think as well she goes off food and drinks too much milk

Thurlow Thu 17-Dec-15 14:29:04

Reassuring to hear other kids do it too - PFB and all that, I had no idea if it was normal or not!

I hadn't thought about the glands, longdiling, but that makes some sense.

wanderingwondering Thu 17-Dec-15 21:17:27

That's so strange! I was just coming on to ask the same question. Ds (3) was sick in the night and like you I geared up for a bug but it seems that he's just under the weather. It's happened a couple of times before-once before Scarlet fever and once before a cold.
He was a very sicky baby-projectile vomit after most feeds so wonder if he's just prone to it?

thorshammer Thu 17-Dec-15 21:30:37

My 3yo is like this too. No matter what is wrong with him it always starts with a night of throwing up.

Thurlow Thu 17-Dec-15 21:36:41

Maybe its the same bug, wandering? DD has been under the weather today but nothing major

It is reassuring to hear other kids do it though.

NuzzleandScratch Fri 18-Dec-15 00:19:23

Both my dds do this. Really annoying as it still means 48 hrs off school, even if they perk up quickly, as it's still viewed as a sickness bug.

FretYeNot Fri 18-Dec-15 00:26:44

My dd used to throw up when she was in pain (still does, labour was fun)

Thurlow Fri 18-Dec-15 09:52:23

I've just had that this morning, Nuzzle - after an epic 13 hour sleep DD has woken up full of beans and absolutely fine, but after calling nursery they said they are treating it as a sickness bug so she's not allowed in today. Not the end of the world but I know she'd rather be in for a few hours than at home!

NuzzleandScratch Fri 18-Dec-15 16:07:21

Ah, that's a shame, good she's feeling better though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now