Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lump on top of head.

(9 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Sat 05-Dec-15 22:25:07

Sorry I have posted on this before but I am desperate for someone to reassure me. Ds is 8 and for the last 5 years we have noticed a bony lump on top of his head. First GP we saw about this 5 years ago said exactly in the middle of his head where fontella closed up uneven. It bothers me from time to time so mentioned to a paediatrician who has referred us for a MRI scan. Has anyone's else child got this bumpy type of head. I am sick with worry and don't know how I am going to wait another 6 weeks . I have googled (stupid I know) and it sounds like a sagital ridge but I don't think this can happen at his age. Other possibilities are scaring the life out of me. Anyone able to help calm me down.

Notthinkingclearly Sat 05-Dec-15 22:26:00

Ps it feels just like bone.

treaclesoda Sat 05-Dec-15 22:28:18

I have no idea what the lump is, but I do identify with the feeling of panic (I have suffered from debilitating health anxiety over the years).

No one on the internet can properly reassure you, only a doctor can do that. But I think on the positive side, if something were sinister, surely it wouldn't have been there harmlessly for five years? That is what I remind myself with myself/dc when something has been there for a long time.

I hope you can get your mind put at rest. flowers

Notthinkingclearly Sat 05-Dec-15 22:31:20

Thank you Treaclesoda. That's what I keep telling myself that surely anything bad would be making him ill by now.I have become obsessed with looking at bald men. I do have health anxiety but I think a run of bad luck and some misdiagnosis over the years had made it worse.,

dratsea Sat 05-Dec-15 23:22:40

MRI overkill but it will reassure you. Your duty is now to start talking about the scan, it is really noisy and scary but with a bit of prep most 8yr olds are fine. Ask your local unit if they do "open days". If not there are loads of instructional videos on Youtube.

I saw quite a few midline bony lumps, none were "scary". I removed a couple but only because they were painful, sort of like an oyster attached to skull, took a few blows to knock off with hammer and chisel. I found it scary, poor anaesthetist who held head even more scary. (And did one in a young adult under local anaesthetic but at least I could warn him what to expect.)

Notthinkingclearly Sun 06-Dec-15 07:51:07

Thanks so much Dratsea. It doesn't seem to bother my son at all lets hope we don't need the chisel and hammer approach. Sorry could i just ask you one more question. Consultant said probably mri required but he may need CT scan. Should I get a second opinion if that's the case as I know that CT scans are radiation. Should MRI show info needed?

dratsea Sun 06-Dec-15 08:15:46

Well, that depends on what MRI shows but if then needs CT it would be a bone problem so probably good news. I would not have either but you are right about no dangers of MRI and significant dangers of CT. You accept the danger that MRI not clear and so to dot i's and cross t's either second opinion or just decline MRI a reasonable option. Especially if really reasonably concerned about a CT head in an 8yr old. I hope that makes sense?

Footle Sun 06-Dec-15 08:40:41

Dratsea, if you're trying to make sure your posts make sense to an anxious parent, why are you doing that ridiculous crossing-out thing ?

Notthinkingclearly Sun 06-Dec-15 18:45:39

Dratsea sorry if this sounds cheeky but could I ask what your actual medical background is. Presuming you are a surgeon? Did you see these lumps on children's heads too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now