Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD (2.3) and recurrent coldsores

(3 Posts)
Helgathehairy Mon 30-Nov-15 14:40:50

DD got the herpes virus at about 18 months. It was really horrible with blisters all over the inside of her mouth. She was prescribed liquid Zovirax (which didn't do much I don't think and cost €40 for a bottle!)

She's had one or two coldsores since then but now she's had pretty much recurrent ones for 6 weeks. One will clear up just for another one to develop straight away.

Should she see the GP or is there something I could give her to help?

Ellie2015 Mon 30-Nov-15 20:00:55

Yes good idea to see the GP. Avoid kissing her too much (sorry) but it can sometimes go back and forth between u and ur DD. There are stuffs like bonjela for the ulcers but u need to see gp first.

passmyglassplease Mon 30-Nov-15 20:21:13

I used to suffer horribly from cold sores and have tried every remedy available and my go to cure is Blistex. It is a saviour and is mild enough for children.

What ever you do do not use Zovirax, although she is probaly too young for it anyway, I found zovirax actually made the cold sores much worse.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now