Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS aged 7 - bleeding penis - help please!

(8 Posts)
Loula117 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:10:02

Poor DS has just shrieked for me that his willy is bleeding, and indeed there was enough blood that's gone through his pants and trousers, he only noticed because there was blood on a soft toy he was lying on when he moved. He was unstandably quite scared and I've washed him and calmed him down - he says that it doesn't hurt (he just needed a wee afterwards and I wondered if it might sting) and he claims he wasn't pulling at it and hasn't fallen over or been bashed there today. I think he would tell me, I know he has been known to fiddle with it, as most boys do at times!

I'm trying not to panic and have told him it's probably a little tear in his foreskin, does that sound right? Unfortunately neither DH nor I are exactly experts, me not having one and DH being circumsized from a baby! Just not sure where a sudden tear would have come from?

It seems to have stopped now, I've put him in boxers with a pantyliner so I can see if it happens again.

TakesTwoToTango Mon 02-Nov-15 17:18:16

Quite probably a perfectly harmless explanation but I would be getting an emergency gp appointment for today just to get checked out. Enough blood to soak through pants and trousers without obvious cause is quite a lot of blood for a 7 yr old.

Loula117 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:37:29

Doctor is calling me back - no appointments now.

notapizzaeater Mon 02-Nov-15 17:56:25

Has he trapped it in his zip ? My DS bled from his penis when he had an infection, doctor gave him cream to pop on it.

Loula117 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:59:52

He says not although I suspect he's pulled it back too far at some point and today was probably rolling around in a 'this feels nice' kind of way.

Doctor doesn't seem too concerned.

Does anyone know how far is normal to be able to retract a foreskin? As I said, DH is no help and I don't have many memories relating to other blokes bits in that regard.

dratsea Mon 02-Nov-15 21:05:29

Probably a torn frenulum. If it gives more problems a tiny dab of Vaseline will waterproof it and it is something he could do himself if he is not happy to let you help him.

dratsea Mon 02-Nov-15 21:17:15

Loula "Does anyone know how far is normal to be able to retract a foreskin?" Becomes fully retractile anywhere from age of two to 18. The commonest age would be about 7. It doesn't need to go back until you feel old enough to be a gran. grin As it begins to go back it can get sore, ds described it as being fizzy. Normally it separates without any bleeding, the exception being the frenulum which almost always has a little artery that can bleed a surprising amount. If children need to go back to theatre after a circumcision it is almost always the bleeding point. Hope that helps and would agree with GP unlikely to be anything to worry about.

Loula117 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:58:11

Thanks so much Dratsea, very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now