Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diahrrea for 4 weeks

(25 Posts)
Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 15:55:00

I need some advise my daughter is 12 years old and for nearly 4 weeks she has had terrible stomach ache and diahrrea after eating every day.

dr has done tests and no sign of a stomach bug which it what i thought it was and no food poisening either.

they are re doing tests for lesser known bugs and if they are clear they will run blood tests.
dr things it might be stomach headaches or acid reflux both have a history in our family but im not so sure.
daughter in herself has no temp she is off her food and just picks at her meals but anything she eats goes straight through her 1-3 hours later.
im getting very concerned she is losing weight looks very pale and is quite tired she is taking bucapan which helps with the stomach cramps.
id take her to a&e but kinda feel abit like its not an emergency and would feel im wasting there time but i am drawing a blank.
thinking back she has had the odd day off for stomach ache this last year but nothing like this and im getting really worried now, and suggestions?

dementedpixie Sat 24-Oct-15 16:08:49

Have you done a food diary?

Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 16:14:57

Yes ive done a food diary and im also trying to keep foods quite plain now ie no spicy stuff but cant see anything obvious i should also perhaps point out she does keep saying alot of foods taste mouldy when we all eat the same and it tastes fine.

Nikkinoo77 Sat 24-Oct-15 16:35:27

Has she had blood tests?
Ask them to check CRP and ESR levels.
They measure inflammation in the body and also a calprotectin stool sample.
That will measure if there's any inflammation in her bowel.

Nikkinoo77 Sat 24-Oct-15 16:36:29

Sorry just re read and saw that they will do bloods after other results.

Madelinehatter Sat 24-Oct-15 16:43:01

Ask them to test for coeliacs disease.

ilovemydoggy Sat 24-Oct-15 16:43:25

Is she lossing any blood or mucas when she goes a toilet?

Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:04:22

no blood or mucus will ask them to test for coeliacs deisease

Hurr1cane Sat 24-Oct-15 18:12:10

DS has had this his entire life. He's 9 now. Still none the wiser sad

Electrolux2 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:22:14

Ask to see a paediatric gastroenterologist
Both my DC had this. It's turned out to be 'something'

Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:38:33

thanks ill note all the above and take it to gp ,Electroulux2 would you like to say what the "somthing" was?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 24-Oct-15 19:08:34

Please don't take her to A&E, that is for life threatening emergencies - not just because you want answers faster than via thanks GP

Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 19:37:13

I know it is god knows ive been there enough in the past but i am really worried and a dr from my local hospital told me once that they are always open if im ever worried a bout a childs health (nearly lost my son as a baby he was rushed into hospital) to go straight in, however im going to wait till monday when other test results are back and if shows nothing and daughter is the same i will request she is admitted 4 weeks is along time to not eat imo.

Panickingalot Sat 24-Oct-15 19:43:45

Could it be stress, is she worried about anything? Ibs can be horrendous and can be as frequent as you describe during a flare up.

I would ask for a referral and if you are denied I would ask for a second opinion. She probably needs an endoscopy and /or colonoscopy to rule out crohns, colitis, etc and then work from there. Good luck.

Snert26 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:19:31

no its not stress and not worried about anything.

Snert26 Mon 26-Oct-15 15:22:39

interesting ive looked in to celicac disease its almost my daughter and my husband to a T. will mention it to gp tomorrow.

Snert26 Wed 28-Oct-15 12:44:24

last lot of test results are clear daughter is having blood tests done this afternoon.

Snert26 Sat 31-Oct-15 00:09:34

no results yet on blood tests should of been back yesterday as they were put under urgent but i phoned today coz the waiting is killing me and they not back yet.

Snert26 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:09:50

ok for anyone who is wondering whats been going on blood test results are back today, tests show abnormal whatevers with daughters liver and immune system , celiac disease and all the others were normal/negivive. Dr suspects my daughter has a reflux problem( my son as a baby had op for pyloric stenosis) and reflux issues are common in husbands family. daughter is being refured to peadatric dr in hospital asap to investigate it all further.

Wirralmumof2 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:39:07

Snert. Glad you have the beginnings of an answer at least. Good luck.

Snert26 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:08:51

Just a update daughter is still the same waiting for her urgent hospital supposed to of been seen within 2 weeks but having to wait till 14th dec as its busy.

Snert26 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:53:41

An update for anyone following this..Daughter had hospital appointment yesterday hospital dr thinks she has either an infection,ibs,celiac diesease or inflammatory bowel diesease, they are giving her a mega dose of antibiotics and she has to have pro biotic pills for 6 weeks then go back to hospital by then they will have results of the blood tests the took yesterday and if she is no better she will poss have to have a camera down and biopsy taken . the hospital ruled out any reflux problem which i didnt think it was.

Domino777 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:59:13

Fingers crossed they get to the root of things

Snert26 Wed 27-Jan-16 13:22:26

in case anyone is following this post,

blood results from hospital are all normal the stool sample test was void due to my dr surgery sending it to the wrong lab for testing even with a hospital label on it so having to re do that which will be another 6 weeks( testing for inflammatory disease) was supposed to be back in clinic this week but hosp are so busy the appointment came through for may! i have spoke since to dr in hospital to get the results etc they think she has had a bacterial infection which has gone now but now they think her brain is wrongly telling her she is in sevire pain when she isnt not sure i buy that myself but it is plausable. Daughter herself is much better but still suffering with stomach ache and diahrea on and off, but she is soldering on and managed full week at school last week first time since last sept. hopefully things are looking up and will post again when i get other results.

Snert26 Mon 05-Sep-16 10:28:37

Sorry I have been quiet my laptop died and I had a nightmare trying to remember my log in details ..so in case people have been wondering what's been going on with my daughter well not much really . She / we were told when she went back to Dr in hosp as they can't find anything wrong after doing blood tests etc they have come to the conclusion that she has Abdominal Pain Syndrome ie IBS for children . The hospital have referred daughter to a dietician as I struggled to get her to eat much everything tastes funny or mouldy to my daughter and she has been referred to pain clinic we haven't been to either yet as we have had to wait months for a appointment and are due back to Dr in hospital at my insistence for a follow up in Nov . Off my own back because i got fed up with my daughter constantly being hungry i have totally overhauled what we eat and have gone back to good old home cooked meals, baking biscuits ,cakes etc . And things have been better as she eats better etc. She has been much better over the holidays and fingers crossed it stays that way she is keen to start dance drama and pe again hopefully it's a good sign .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now