Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Movicol - how do you know when to reduce dose?

(6 Posts)
spiky54 Fri 21-Aug-15 21:01:30

DS2,12, has been on 2 sachets of Movicol for 10 days. Nothing happened at all until today, and we were about to increase the dose but decided to add back in his regular glass of prune juice instead. Today he has suddenly had numerous episodes of very loose bowels. Do I keep everything the same or reduce the dose?

BrumpyGollocks Sat 22-Aug-15 06:42:30

It's quite common for that to happen with movicol, we reduced the dose with our Ds but he was taking quite a few sachets.

Once he was going regularly with no pain we were able to reduce it gradually until he was only having a sachet every other day .

You could ring the GP & ask for advice over the phone or check with your pharmacy just to be sure it's ok to reduce them for your DC.

BreeVDKamp Sat 22-Aug-15 07:11:40

I'm not sure if this helps but I've just taken 12 week old DS off Movicol as it wasn't doing anything other than making him scream with painful wind. Pharmacist said it's fine to just go cold turkey if you want as it's not one that builds up in the system etc, and there is no need to wean off.
So if you want to reduce the dose I'm sure you can do it whenever and by however much you want.

Mummytron Sun 30-Aug-15 14:20:49

My 4 year old is on movicol and I can't get it right. Drs say she has constipation but I don't know. She goes about three times a day sometimes big sometimes small but always hard. She had three episodes of blood in her poo, hospital still say constipation. She's been on movicol for ages so surely something would change by now? X

PurpleSkyatthewateringhole Sun 30-Aug-15 14:27:25

Ds has been on movicol so often in his 6 yrs I wish there was another solution. I ease him down to 1 sachet a day when he's going everyday and is pain free.

Mummytron Fri 04-Sep-15 18:12:55

Can I ask...
My daughter goes 3-4 times a day but they still say she is constipated. Is this true? She does small, large, long all sorts really but never easy to get out. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now