Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD red rash around ears?

(11 Posts)
Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 05:25:24

DD is 21 months, all vaccines up to date plus varicella.

She has developed a red rash around her ears. It started as pin pricks but is solid now with the pin pricks spreading down neck.
V itchy and she seems quite uncomfortable. She has also developed a cough and is rather grumpy.

DH says it's the heat, in Europe, v hot and no air con till Saturday. She has v thick hair and won't tie it back so gets v sweaty.

I am worit may be something more sinister and thinks she should be checked over.
It's

Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 06:28:34

Bump

Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:05:32

Anyone??

LooseSeal Fri 31-Jul-15 08:11:16

A redness and itching around the ears, especially in the mornings, can be caused by head lice, have you checked her hair? It could also be heat rash, my DD gets a pinprick itchy rash on her chest in hot weather.

Other than that I'd suggest you take her to the GP.

Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:16:01

Thank you.

I can't see and lice or eggs but she's not one for allowing you near her hair. Ill have another check.

DH thinks heat rash but I think I'm just a natural worrier and as she's on quite high dose antihistamines for something else I thought they'd stop anything like that.

Methe Fri 31-Jul-15 08:16:30

My da had this when he was about 6 mo old (he was 3 mo prem) he had had his early vacs.

I called 111 as he seemed absolutely fine in himself and the Dr diagnosed German Measles over the phone without a seconds hesitation. He said "I know exactly what that is.." I've never known a Dr be so certain about anything else!

Ds was fine. We had to stay in for a week. Apparently German Measles is a notifiable disease as everyone we met at appointments after that knew about it.

Hope your dd is ok smile

Methe Fri 31-Jul-15 08:17:26

By stay in I mean stay at home. Hope in hospital or anything.

Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:19:01

That was my worry!

We in villa, got to be out of here tomorrow, supposed to be going to lovely boutique hotel with the holy grail of air conditioning!!

I'll get DH on the phone.

Methe Fri 31-Jul-15 08:26:56

Oh no sad the advice I was given was to stay in for a week. Not ideal if you're holiday!

Twinkie1 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:34:32

It is a heat rash!

Been given sin rice flour granules to bath her in as apparently it's acidic sweat causing the rash.

I thought she smelt like chips this morning, a bit vinegary. Who'd have thought!!

Thanks for your replies.

Methe Fri 31-Jul-15 20:39:18

Well that is good news smile enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now