Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hip pain/limping in 10 year old DD (congenital dislocation of the hip...maybe?)

(5 Posts)
StandardEEEK Tue 21-Jul-15 22:47:08

This has been going on for a while maybe up to a year but it is on and off, she will complain her hip hurts, but within a few days it will be okay again. It has been getting more severe. Recently I heard about perthes and this panicked me enough to take her to the GP on the next flare up - which happened yesterday so she had a GP apt today.

One of the first things the GP asked was whether was was breech, which she was, so that instantly had me worried. She watched DD walk and then tried to move her hips, on the non painful side it was fine but on the side where it hurts she was really guarding it and couldn't move it across. The extent of that really surprised me, DD is really active and dances, horse rides etc so I didn't realise that the range of movement in her hip was so compromised.

Then she said it could be congenital dislocation of the hip, which I am horrified about - how could it go undx for so long if this is the case?! (Am I that unobservant? is it normal? does the elhers danlos in our family account for this in any way? what abt clicky hips tests - she had those as a baby? ...etc so many questions). She has been referred for x-rays which hopefully will be within a week.

Of course it COULD be something else, and I REALLY hope it is something else (a recurrent pulled muscle would be fine - DD and I can deal with that!). I have obv done some self-torturous Googling of treatment for congenital dislocation of the hip - it all sounds incredibly stressful, I feel for anyone who has had to go through it or who will have to go through it and really hope that we won't have to.

Any advice/experiences please do share!

IFancyRichard Tue 21-Jul-15 22:49:23

My daughter has Ehlers Danlos hyper mobility and her hips are particularly affected and mobile. She has ongoing pain and injuries from sport.

StandardEEEK Tue 21-Jul-15 22:53:51

Hmm...interesting. So your DD's hips come out? Does she have to be careful about what she can do?

Myself and DD have not been officially dx's w/Elhers Danlos but my mum has. I am just as bendy as my mum and have weird skin so pretty sure I have EDS. DD is also very bendy but is also quite strong, which is totally unlike me, so not so sure it is EDS with her, but either way she is def still hypermobile.

IFancyRichard Tue 21-Jul-15 23:08:33

Hips don't come out but they just have an abnormal range of movement which means she tears soft tissues a lot. She's currently under Physio care but limping still

StandardEEEK Wed 22-Jul-15 21:06:46

I wonder if DD does have something similar, it sounds in fitting possibly. Does your DD manage okay IFancyRichard.

DD has been in worse pain with it this afternoon than I think she has ever been before so I am really glad we did go to the GP yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now