Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds2 restricted diet

(15 Posts)
Edenviolet Mon 13-Jul-15 23:22:57

Ds2 is 3 and we have recently changed his diet

His eczema is affected terribly by dairy so we have cut it out. He also has IBS so we have now also cut out wheat and gluten. Since doing so he has been better pain wise but very tearful and agitated and just not himself. I'm not sure if it's connected or not, I'm worried perhaps something is missing from his diet as it's quite restricted.
Yesterday he had:
Breakfast : a soya yogurt and a banana, water
Mid morning: a biscuit and water
Lunch : pretzels, chicken, cucumber, strawberries
Mid aft: water and a small box of raisins
Dinner : pizza, cucumber, some chocolate, water
Before bed : beaker of soya milk

Today
Breakfast : banana and some mini rice cakes, water
Mid morning : two biscuits and water
Lunch: pretzels, chicken, cucumber, grapes, soya yogurt and water
Mid aft : sticks of pepper, raisins and water
Dinner: fish and chips, cucumber, a small ice cream and water
Before bed: soya milk

My other dds have various food allergies/intolerances and after cutting out problem foods I've never seen a behavioural reaction like dis seems to have, he is just so miserable. His eczema is a lot better though and he has not complained of tummy ache as much and seems to be starting to sleep a little better so I want to persevere.
Should I try a vitamin and mineral supplement ? Is there something obvious missing from his diet that I haven't realised ?

TheHouseOnBellSt Tue 14-Jul-15 09:03:18

I would watch the bananas as they can "bind" people quite a lot...roughage seems to be low in the menu you've posted though it's only 2 days so it's hard to tell.

Buttercup27 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:13:06

Is the soya bothering him? I know lots of children who are soya intolerant.
Also bananas give me a weird headache, odd feeling if I eat more than 1 or 2 a week.
It might just take him a while to get used to such a big change in his diet, he may settle down himself with a bit more time.

SpendSpendSpend Tue 14-Jul-15 09:13:21

Its not a very calorific diet and its very low fat. Is he hungry and thats why hes misbehaving?

TheMoa Tue 14-Jul-15 09:23:59

The foods you've listed seem quite sugary and junky. Soy yoghurts, biscuits, pretzels, raisins, chocolate, fruit, ice cream.. that's a lot over just two days.

You'd be better off with maybe a cooked breakfast, shepherds pie or chilli or something for dinner, just more calorific and nutrient dense foods.

Edenviolet Tue 14-Jul-15 13:09:04

He seems fine with soya so far, we do have additional problems with fussiness over eating I think as he's had pain etc after eating he now is quite limited as to what he will accept.
The only meat he will eat is chicken. Very occasionally he will eat sausages but not often. Completely refuses mince etc and does not eat the gluten free pasta.

At the moment I'm hoping his stomach will start to settle now the wheat and gluten has been removed from his diet and then we will try and work on introducing a wider variety of foods.
He can eat eggs but refuses those too which is a shame I'm at a bit of a loss as he is not particularly happy and I think it may be hunger. He used to happily eat sandwiches and pasta before and now isn't keen at all on alternatives

TheMoa Tue 14-Jul-15 13:12:42

What about French toast, using gluten free bread? I have a child with food issues, so every calorie counts.

French toast with maple syrup was a good discovery.

Edenviolet Tue 14-Jul-15 13:45:35

I will try that thanks

TheHouseOnBellSt Tue 14-Jul-15 14:20:35

Mince and sausages are crap anyway OP....better off without those.

Edenviolet Tue 14-Jul-15 16:26:34

I do think it's a shame about mince as it rules out so many meals .

He does eat lots of chicken though that's something I suppose

TheHouseOnBellSt Tue 14-Jul-15 19:09:53

I make spag bol with no meat....I use lentils instead. I also make a vegetable cottage pie.

cestlavielife Thu 16-Jul-15 16:42:51

are they gf pizza and pretzels?

cestlavielife Thu 16-Jul-15 17:16:55

did you have him tested for coeliac before cutting out the gluten?

Edenviolet Thu 16-Jul-15 17:37:44

Yes, all gf

He wasn't tested the consultant just advised it due to IBS to see if it helped with the symptoms and because we have a family history of wheat intolerance (dd2 has it, although she did have a test for coeliac)

cestlavielife Thu 16-Jul-15 23:13:23

V bad for consultant to say to go gf without testing for coeliac first.....anyway best yo keep food diary for two weeks then take that to a dietician for review

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now