Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bexsero/Meningitis B Vaccine

(4 Posts)
IncaAztec Thu 09-Jul-15 22:27:40

Anyone out there paid to have this done privately? I've heard its costly and there's lots of side effects? Should I wait to see if the NHS extends the vaccine to all under 5s or will that never happen?

OhEmGeee Fri 10-Jul-15 16:04:39

The nhs has rolled it out but only for newborns. We paid for our DC to have it done privately. What do you mean by lots of side effects? All vaccinations can have side effects as can any drug you take. It's about £90 per dose. My DC were fine.

I've seen the effect of meningitis on babies and children (I'm a nurse). Meningitis can kill or result in significant loss of limb. I have no regrets about giving it.

2plus3 Fri 10-Jul-15 18:17:05

Yes, ours cost £110 per dose, they need two doses two months apart. I think getting Men B would be far worst then any side effect.

Hopeful83 Sat 11-Jul-15 00:19:28

My daughter had it last week. I paid £130. We were told that 80% of children who have it get a fever and flu like symptoms but my daughter was fine. She did sleep very well though that night when she doesn't normally (she's 7 months old). I was worried as it is a relatively new vaccine but there are no plans to give it to older children on thr NHS, I could afford it luckily and the alternative seemed much worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now