Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2yo sprained ankle not healing?

(6 Posts)
NigellaFlawsome Sun 05-Jul-15 17:03:43

My dd 2.5 fell last Monday and hurt her ankle. She was in a lot of pain and wouldn't walk in it so we took her to the Minor Injuries Unit at our local hospital. They did an X Ray and said she hadn't broken anything, just sprained it and sent us away with some ibuprofen.

A week later she still won't walk on it. Should it have healed by now? Do I make an appointment with GP, take her back to MIU or just wait it out?

Also, I'm guessing I need to keep

NigellaFlawsome Sun 05-Jul-15 17:05:47

Posted too soon blush

I guess I need to keep her home from nursery? She's shuffling around on her knees but wouldn't be able to join in games or play outside.

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jul-15 17:09:06

Sprains can take a fair while to heal. Saying that, if you're still concerned, then go to your gp.

beautifulgirls Sun 05-Jul-15 20:42:28

I think you should go back and see a doctor again. Sometimes subtle fractures can be difficult to detect.

DeeWe Mon 06-Jul-15 14:18:19

Ds went over on his ankle from a step not more than 4" high when he was about 22 months. He couldn't weightbear for nearly a fortnight-by which point they'd x-rayed several times from different angles to check every bit.

After about 10-12 days he started walking very slowly, on his tiptoe with the foot turned in. Got sent back for more x-rays. About a week after that he wanted to get somewhere quicker, and just put his foot down and ran properly.

I think once he had found it hurt, he was reluctant to try, and then he got into a habit of walking like that. Once he'd run once he was walking properly from then on.

I'd send her to nursery. She'll probably see the others walking around and just get up and do it.

OhEmGeee Tue 07-Jul-15 16:36:56

Is she scared to walk on it maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now