Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just noticed a couple of DS1's front teeth are grey?

(12 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 24-Jun-15 18:47:14

They're his milk teeth, he's only 5 but they are noticeably darker than all his other teeth. Is this something to be concerned about or should I nor worry as they're milk teeth and will come our anyway. I was thinking of phoning the dentist tomorrow morning. DS isn't complaining they hurt, although he has in the past moaned about his teeth hurting. He had a check up recently and all was ok, but a couple of weeks ago he had a nasty fall in the playground.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 24-Jun-15 18:51:11

They are probably getting close to exfoliating

MrsEvadneCake Wed 24-Jun-15 18:51:19

If they've been bumped hard then that could well be the reason. My DS chipped a milk tooth and we were told it may go grey. A check up might be worth it.

MeeWhoo Wed 24-Jun-15 18:55:57

It will be the fall, either damaging or killing the tooth nerve. Same happened to ds around a week or a week and a half after falling on his face and splitting the inside of his lip.
Luckily, in ds case the colour gradually went back to normal, i'd say id probably took a month or 2 to be the same as the rest of his teeth, but if the nerve is dead, the teeth will stay gray. You cann google damaged tooth nerve to see if the pictures look similar.

CPtart Wed 24-Jun-15 19:34:59

DS2 when aged 3 fell and bashed his two front teeth on a tiled floor. They went grey and never back to normal, and he had to live with them like that until they fell out aged 8. The dentist tried to coat them with a whitening paste to disguise them but it wasn't very successful. Luckily his second teeth came through normally.
He also once (detect a theme?) fell off a slide and blackened a baby tooth on the bottom. This went grey but righted itself after several weeks.

WeLoveHaribo Thu 25-Jun-15 12:55:27

My DS 6, has two front top grey milk teeth from a bad fall aged 2. Dentist said ts no concern and should fall out when ready and new tooth will be fine, normal-white, He said odd occasions some come through grey but rarer. x

33goingon64 Thu 25-Jun-15 13:18:09

DS fell and hit his mouth about 3 months ago and now one of his front teeth is grey. Dentist said nerve had died and there's nothing to do unless there's pain or an abscess. Just have to wait for adult teeth to come.

WiseKneeHair Thu 25-Jun-15 13:19:51

This also happened with my DS3. They have fallen out now and he has two lovely white adult teeth growing through. grin

westcountrywoman Thu 25-Jun-15 13:21:24

Happened to a friend's DD after a fall. Apparently teeth can bruise as they have a blood supply. Sometimes they recover, sometimes they stay grey.

WorthMoreThanThat Fri 26-Jun-15 07:33:48

Ds1 two front teeth did this when he was 4, we went to the dentist who said he must have banged them at a younger age. She removed both teeth as said if the nerves were dead it could effect his adult teeth

MyGastIsFlabbered Fri 26-Jun-15 07:59:59

Thanks all. I rang the dentist and they said it was probably best to bring him in just to check. But we've not got an appointment until a week Monday. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

BlackSwan Sun 28-Jun-15 07:21:45

Also, taking tetracycline (kind of antibiotic) during pregnancy can cause a baby's milk teeth to be grey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now